(some) TEXAS TECH FANS NEED TO GET A BRAIN

By mark rogers
October 26, 2009

(disclaimer: any mention of the group "Tech fan" or "fan base" in this article is only referring to the mass of people chanting at the game on Saturday night. I acknowledge the majority of Texas Tech football fans weren't involved)

I'm a huge football fan. High school, college, pros. I'm passionate. I get in to it. It has an affect on my mood...it can ruin a day (or week) for me. I've broken things while watching football. I've cried. I've screamed. I'm a pretty typical fan (in my opinion) and do many things that many typical fans do. I get it.

But there's one thing I absolutely DO NOT get nor will I EVER get...booing a college football player.

It happened Saturday night in Lubbock to QB Taylor Potts.

Most, if not all, Tech fans brag about their loyalty, dedication and passion. Lubbock is a tough place to play, and Tech fan takes pride in that.

But any Tech fan who took part in chanting "No More Potts" on Saturday in the 3RD quarter of Tech's loss to A&M should be banned from any sporting event in Lubbock and (in my opinion) forced to eat nothing but molded oatmeal and spoiled milk for the rest of their idiotic lives.

Taylor Potts lives and breathes Tech football.

He wakes up thinking about it. He goes to sleep thinking about it. He's consumed by it all day everyday and has for many years.

In six games this year, Potts has thrown for 2,127 yards, 15 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He's been sacked 11 times and has a QB rating of 146.2.

To put that in perspective, Texas QB Colt McCoy has a rating of 143.3, has thrown 14 touchdowns, eight interceptions and been sacked 12 times.

There's just two main differences:
  • 1. Texas is undefeated and ranked 3rd in the nation.
  • 2. Texas is a better team with better talent, better facilities, better coaching, better discipline, in a better city.
Any of the fans chanting for the benching of Taylor Potts want to point out that an incredibly undisciplined Red Raiders team has been penalized 12 more times than any other program in the nation?? How about chanting "No more penalties!!""???

Maybe Potts is having to force things because the rest of the team can't do their jobs.

And how about the fact that the Tech defense is not all that great.

Here are some defensive conference stats for you...these are Big 12 rankings:
#11 in passing yards allowed
#8 in rush yards allowed
#8 in total yards allowed
T#8 in interceptions (just five)
 #9 in points allowed

Listen here, Tech fan - you had a great year last year. Beat a #1 ranked team. Had a great QB and a great WR that led an explosive offense.

But you know what else you had? A decent defense. Here are the same defensive categories I listed above from the 2008 season (in the same order listed above):

#3
#6
#4
#2
#3

If Tech fan can't realize that a good defense makes a difference in how your QB plays, then that fan should have "IDIOT" tattooed across his/her face.

It makes a difference.

But it's way easier to completely demoralize a young kid and his family by chanting "No More Potts" in front of 60,000 people than it is to actually know what in the world you're talking about.

It's like Tech fan thinks Taylor wakes up at noon. Rolls out of bed to eat some Fruit Loops and play video games, then comes to the stadium on Saturday and laces 'em up.

You don't think he's trying just a little harder at being a football player than Tech fan is at being a complete waste of space?

Makes me absolutely sick.

And not just for Taylor, but for any young athlete who pours his/her heart and soul into something and is then completely ostracized by the very group of people he/she is doing everything he/she can to please.

I'm sure it happens every week somewhere across the country. But it's never really hit this close to home.

I've known Taylor for a long time and know his family well. They are some of the best, quality, upstanding people I've ever had the privilege to know.

And this isn't some kid who's been in trouble with the law. He hasn't been arrested for beating up his girlfriend, for public intoxication or for disorderly conduct.

Taylor doesn't talk trash on the field. He doesn't taunt the other team. He doesn't say stupid things in the media. A player that does those things might be deserving of some fan ridicule if he's not performing well.

But Taylor hasn't done either of those things. He's a good kid, and he's played hard.

All he does is do everything exactly right, try his ever-loving rear end off and gets booed off the stage because Tech is having a good year instead of a "great" one they had at the beginning of last year for the first time in 1,000 years.

Does it really take less than 12 months to forget that you've always been just an average program?

Taylor's numbers are way better than most QBs in the FBS.

Not to mention he was illegally hit (helmet-to-helmet) in the Texas game and spent the night in the hospital a few weeks later after suffering a major concussion. What else does he have to do to prove to Tech fan that he's dedicated and willing to give up his health and lot of other things to win games for an ungrateful fan base?

Tech fan can have an opinion and talk to others about the possibility of putting someone else in at QB. That's part of the position: you get all the glory and all the ridicule.

But no college athlete should be ridiculed like that. In front of his family, his close friends, his team.

I hope Taylor doesn't ever play another down for those idiotic, dim-witted, dense Tech fans that booed him the other night.

I hope he transfers to another school and finishes his career with a fan base that actually knows something about football.

Taylor would never say it, but he's a better athlete, student and human than about 99.8% of the people walking around this planet.

And I can tell you one other thing, too - Not a one of those fans would boo Taylor to his face because (although he never would) he could smash them all into little pieces with one arm.

It just says a lot about the Tech fans that took part...they're cowards with no intellect and will only be successful in life if someone comes up with a way to make a living by being a completely thoughtless, selfish, tactless and gauche human being.

Comments

This site does not necessarily agree with comments posted below.

Susan Gore on October 27, 2009 11:31 AM

Thanks for saying what I wished I could have put into words. I AM a Tech fan, I love watching Red Raider football; our oldest son is a graduate of Tech, but I was SO very disappointed in the few that made us all look like heartless idiots on Saturday. The Potts family is top notch. Thanks for saying what you did.

Robert Oglesby on October 27, 2009 11:42 AM

Ditto Mark. It is enough to make your blood boil. The fickle fans are not worthy to untie Taylor's shoes. Keep that pen moving.

Robert O.

Donnie on October 27, 2009 3:52 PM

Per someone at RP.com:

Worthless article from an internet nobody.

couldn't agree more.

Troy Oliver on October 27, 2009 5:45 PM

There are way too many absolutes in this post. C'mon ... its Football!! These people aren't "complete idiots" ... they're football fans. What recourse have they, but to boo at the game? The fact is, Tech has a football team because fans pay to watch them play, buy black-and-red hats, purchase window decals. They want to see a good team, and regardless of how much they know about football ... they bought tickets ... so they get their say. You told me yourself ... College Football is a business. And these guys aren't fragile human beings. They're football players with free educations and their own cafeteria.

College athletes know the difference between chanting and ridicule.

I love Potts. But the people who don't ... aren't idiots.

Erin Methvin on October 27, 2009 6:27 PM

Hi Mark... I don't think you could of said this any better. I just pray the fans wake up and see how hurtful they have been and how each and everyone who did say those things owe T and apology. Thanks for saying what you did!

andy on October 27, 2009 7:08 PM

First off Im a big Taylor Potts fan. I have watched him from highschool until he started playing for my favorite college team, and I was excited to see him in the starting line up. With that said I think he needed to be benched. The loss was in no way all his fault and lies mostly on the defense, but when you have 3 turnovers it certainly doesnt help matters. I wasnt booing him or chanting but he needed to sit on the bench. If not for the fans then it was to save whatever confidence he had left. Plus for how much tickets cost at Tech games people should be able to chant and say what they want if they arent happy with the product on the field. Im not saying they are right but they deserve to have their opinions heard. If the qb isnt playing well then has an effect on the entire team like no other position in sports. The worst part is Potts knows he can play to an elite level and he hasnt shown it all year. The team seemed to click better with Sheffield in the line up and sometimes thats what a team needs. As for calling out the fans....I hope you feel like a real man calling out a bunch of 18 year old college students. You are as pathetic as their chants were.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 27, 2009 7:33 PM

Ah, Troy my boy...check the text. I never use the phrase "complete idiots." But alas, I have no problem with football fans booing their team, a play call, or even a single player who drops a pass or misses a wide open tackle. The problem for me comes when an entire student section singles one player and mercilessly berates that player....AT HOME!!!!! That's the other crazy thing. Potts and every other college athlete (especially QBs) should expect to get singled out on the road, to have signs with their names on them making fun of them and to hear chants from fans. But not in your home base. Not in the place that you chose to go over other schools that were recruiting you. Not from people who you go to class with.

I mentioned the fact that the revenue football brings in is a factor...but it's not like it is in pro sports. Not even close. Those players get their education paid for and a small meal allowance each week. But alot of other students at every college and university in America get their school paid for as well. Other athletes, people with good grades or low incomes...that doesn't mean they deserve to get singled out.

OK, those other scholarship students don't get all the glory that comes with winning big games and being interviewed on ESPN and Fox Sports...but that still doesn't mean scholarship athletes deserve to have "No more Potts" chanted at them when they haven't played all that bad to begin with...when it's the rest of the team's fault as much as anyone else's.

College football is a business...yes. There are peaks and valleys. You get the good and the bad that comes along with it. But, in my opinion, the only business that it's fair to debase someone like that is professional sports. And maybe meter maids.

And what does "college athletes know the difference between chanting and ridicule" even supposed to mean?

I didn't even say that everyone who doesn't love Taylor is an idiot. If you think that you didn't read the article. I said that anyone involved in chanting "No More Potts" is an idiot.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Tim Tebow...but I know he's a class act and wouldn't chant something that would embarrass him to the extent that Tech fans embarrassed Taylor under any circumstances.

Mark Lavender on October 27, 2009 7:36 PM

Very well said Mark. To boo a college athlete is ridiculous! These students pour everything they have into their 4 years. They are in class 12-15 hours a week, study about the same amount of time and spend probably 15-20 hours in practice, film study and games. You can boo a program, but to boo an individual is shallow and completely classless.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 27, 2009 7:51 PM

Thanks for taking the time to read the article and post a comment. I really do appreciate it. There are lots of other things you could have done today...

That being said...I never said Taylor didn't need to be removed from the game. I never brought up Sheffield, either. That kid is a great talent that has really played well this year...has some of the best numbers out there.

But that wasn't the point. The point was how groupthink took over "a bunch of 18 year old college students" and made them act in a classless manner. And thank you for clearing up the fact that it was only the freshman class at Tech that was doing the chanting. That makes a lot more sense. Those poor, poor kids. I really did a number on them, didn't I? Maybe I should issue a formal apology to the dean of students for my terrible words.

And calling me pathetic for calling out a large group of people? Yeah, that's nearly as pathetic as totally humiliating one person in front of 60,000 people...a person who has poured his heart and soul into performing for those people.

You know if I had a way to embarrass each and every one of the people that yelled "no more Potts" the other night in front of their families and friends and tens of thousands of other people, I certainly would do it for Taylor's sake because he never would.

Thanks again for taking time out of your day to read and comment...all sarcasm aside, I really do appreciate it.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 27, 2009 7:53 PM

Well, I guess I've been called much worse. Thanks for reading!

D'Anna on October 27, 2009 7:59 PM

you make some great points but what I don't get is that Sheffield plays with the same offense that Potts does, yet seems to play better?

yes the team as a whole played... not so well (batch and jeffers had some unfavorable plays) but what the fans wonder is how different would the game go, bad defense and o-line not blocking, if Sheffield were playing? how would the game against Texas have been different? I know we can't be shoulda-coulda-wouldas but there is a distaste for Potts among the fans if the second string QB can go in and move the ball like Sheffield does.

not trying to take away from the fact that 'no more potts' was rude but it doesn't help your argument if Sheffield plays with same team that potts does.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 27, 2009 8:11 PM

Hi D'Anna...I really do appreciate you taking time to read the article and post a comment.

What I think I may not have communicated very well is the fact that I'm not arguing that Taylor should start or is even the best QB on the Tech roster. Sheffield may be better. Taylor may not be ready. That's not what I'm saying.

All I'm saying is that the chant that was uttered over and over on Saturday night was uncalled for and stuff like that should never happen to any college athlete...scholarship or walk-on...QB or back up deep-snapper.

And distaste or not...it should never be displayed in that way. Write letters to the coaches, call in to radio talk shows, post on message boards. At least Taylor (or any other player in his position) has the choice to listen or read that stuff or not.

But a player has little choice when the chants are reigning down on him from above like searing hot coals, and there's no way to escape it.

Laurie Williams on October 27, 2009 8:18 PM

Awesome - I agree completely. Taylor is an incredible young man and even though I am a huge Texas Tech fan, I was totally ashamed of the students at last Saturday's game. Taylor has played his heart out and certainly didn't deserve the treatment he received. We love you Taylor and I apologize on behalf of the "fans" who have no manners. Maybe Mike Leach should do "common courtesy 101 instead of banking 101" for the student body!

Kegan Carey on October 27, 2009 8:21 PM

Reading this has absolutely made my day. I played ball with Taylor in high school and I know how hard the guy works. I cant even imagine how hard he has to work now in a premiere program. I'm also at Tech now. I've looked forward to this season ever since Taylor decided to come and play for Tech. Getting to see Taylor and Lyle on the field this year has been the greatest thing I could have asked for. But I have never been more embarrased to call myself a Red Raider than I did the other night in the 3rd quarter. I was sitting with some friends that came in from Abilene, not in the student section. I have to say it was probably a blessing in disguise that I wasn't sitting over there. I have been sick about the whole thing ever since. I just hope that the fan base in the student section consisted mainly of first year students that dont understand what it takes to play at this level. Because if not, I feel like I am surrounded by idiots. The chant was the most insulting thing I've ever heard any Tech fans say, AND IT WAS AT THEIR OWN PLAYER. I cant help but feel a little insulted myself because he's one of our own. After he went down with the concussion, I defended him to everyone that has had something dumb to say about him or his ability. But why was I defending him in the first place? His play has spoken for itself. He has been one of the best QBs in this nation so far. I saw a group on facebook the other day that said "No One Goes to the Game if Potts Starts". I think thats good because chances are, those are the same stupid people who were chanting that mess. So I agree with them, if T or anyone else starts, those people shouldn't go to the game, because we dont want them there anyways. Taylor is going to be fine, he's the best guy and QB in this program. I'll always be the last to get on the O-linemen just being an ex one but if T can get a little time, we'll soon hear the doubters shut their mouths here at this fair weather fan school.

Mike Warner on October 27, 2009 8:30 PM

Ok heres my thing. He is not a terrible passer. He should not have been treated how he was. If anyone is going to get angry think of a better solution.Thats what I did. I left I couldn't watch it anymore so I walked away. Kind of pointless to say but I just want to point out that the team clicked better with Sheffield because at game time he is more fired up, more emotional. A quarterback should be a leader. It seems to me when something exciting, or terrible happens on the field if you watch Potts's body language its like "oh well" or "eh cool". Once again though the chanting and booing was pathetic. I hope everyone who did that are ashamed of themselves and never dare to wear red and black again. If it was my friend I would be defending him too. I wonder though Mark if you would defend him or care had you not known him. On that note get off your high horse its life bad things happen people aren't perfect.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 27, 2009 8:34 PM

Thanks for the comment Mike...

Your right...had Taylor not been a close friend, I probably wouldn't have gone off.
But how much harm can I do to a huge group of "faceless" people who will never be held accountable for the way they act at a game.

I know people aren't perfect...I am CERTAINLY not. And I know bad things happen.
I just happened to have an outlet to defend a college football player and a close friend.

Thanks again for reading, Mike. I really do appreciate it.

Callie Spry on October 27, 2009 8:49 PM

This has made me so happy. I have been trying to say the same exact stuff for weeks now... however, most people do not take a 5'1" blonde seriously. I am doing my best to get this posted in Texas Tech's newspaper! I will keep in touch, Mark! Thank you so much!! Wreck em!!

Anita Green on October 27, 2009 8:55 PM

A timely quote from a great football movie, Remember the Titans: "Attitude reflects leadership." If the fans felt any license to air their inherent rudeness, it was because they received permission from the words and actions of Mike Leach. Taylor's words and actions, as reported here in good-ole-Abilene, have shown nothing but maturity and respect. "Winning" is a multi-faceted experience, and Taylor will succeed regardless of what some small people may chant about him.

Troy on October 27, 2009 8:59 PM

Okay, I'm sorry, I didn't realize my words were going to be parsed so diligently. Allow me to reform my argument.

You're right, you never called the chanters "complete idiots." You only called them "complete waste[s] of space," people with "idiotic lives" who should have "'IDIOT' tattooed across his/her face," and "cowards with no intellect [who] will only be successful in life if someone comes up with a way to make a living by being a completely thoughtless, selfish, tactless and gauche human being." -- I was way off.

When I said "College athletes know the difference between chanting and ridicule" I mean this: Perhaps Taylor Potts, who has played football at a number of levels, in a number of venues, has a thick-enough skin to know that those fans might just be expressing frustration at his play. Maybe he doesn't feel "completely ostracized" by the students. Maybe ... just maybe ... he doesn't take it quite as hard as a sports-caster who self-admittedly cries, screams, and breaks thinks while watching football. I'm just saying ...

Sure, these players are young, impressionable, and yes, many play in front of their families. But the fact is, the big, strong ones, like Potts, who can throw it a mile and shuck Defensive Linemen in the pocket ... they're not the same as dorks with academic scholarships. They're after something enormous. Potts says, gimme the rock, I'll be the guy. So when he throws it to the other team ... there's going to me some backlash. From the other students. At home.

It's football.

Maybe Potts is okay with it??

Anonymous on October 27, 2009 9:00 PM

We agree on one thing, we both hope he doesn't play another down. You have a man crush or something? Everyone loves him as a person, but that doesn't mean he's a star qb.

Brandon on October 27, 2009 9:04 PM

The exact same thing happend with Graham a few years ago and I think everyone knows how that worked out. A little adversity never hurt anyone.Everybody relax

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 27, 2009 9:11 PM

I think you commented on the wrong article...the one about how Taylor Potts is a star QB who everybody hates.

Mine didn't have anything to do with those points...but thanks for playing.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 27, 2009 9:13 PM

Really good points Troy. Thanks for taking the time...

Good question at the end...but I don't think so.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 27, 2009 9:40 PM

I agree...a little adversity never did hurt anybody.

I also want to point out the fact that I'm not saying that the Tech fans' actions even had a negative impact on Taylor. I haven't talked to him since it happened. So if it seems like I'm defending a player who's sulking in his room because a bunch of nimwits hurt his feelings - that's way off. Not the case at all.

Taylor's a strong kid that can handle anything some stupid fans can dish out.

My commentary was just on the behavior of the fans...not Taylor's response to it.
Thanks for commenting Brandon. I know my reply didn't have much to do with your comment...but I needed a way to clear that up. Thanks again.

Steve E on October 27, 2009 10:14 PM

Unfortunate. Classless. Clueless. Distasteful. Ridiculous. Childish. However you want to describe the action of booing a collegiate football player, the fact is these are 18 to 21 year old young men who are willing to bleed, get beaten down, subject themselves to permanent injury, and even sacrifice their time away from "normal" college life to wear their school colors and try their best to represent their U. I understand being frustrated, and probably even angry when your team doesn't play well. I even understand wanting to give up completely when they don't play well and lose. BUT, I will never understand booing a player out there who gives his all for his school, and gets beat up by the fans for not playing well. By the way, the WHOLE Tech team lost. Want to point the finger, you point it at all the players who didn't play to their potential. And maybe, just possibly, you do understand that A & M played better and won. It's that simple. I for one ask those who are willing to boo their fellow Raider to look in the mirror and see what they are willing to give up for their school.

Sig Ep on October 27, 2009 10:20 PM

Umm I don't know how long you've been a Tech fan but we (students) booed Harrell against Mizzou when he threw back to back picks for INT's. How did he turn out? Just bc you know Potts doesn't change the fact that he has sucked compared to the alternative (Sheffield). If Sheffield hadn't played, then no one would have complained bc we wouldn't have known any better. Mike Leach obviously thought the same thing with his "fat little girlfriend comments." Maybe it's the fans that need to bring these guys back to earth because in case you guys forgot, Tech LOST to the FREAKING AGGIES.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 27, 2009 10:31 PM

Well, well, well. If it isn't one of the infamous "chanters" now.

Thanks for the comment "Sig Ep". You proved my point. Unbelievable.
And I deleted the rest of this guy's "fat little girlfriend" comment. That's the other thing...if anyone wasn't appalled by the "fat little girlfriend" comment, you're just the type of person I'm talking about. Way to take responsibility for the loss Leach...class act.

And "Umm" whoever said I was a Tech fan? And you hit it on the nose...the "fans" are going to "bring these guys back to earth". You have no clue.

Mikki on October 27, 2009 10:57 PM

I'm not sure that I expect much more out of Tech students. I've only lived in this area for about 7 years and I know it's not nice to sterotype.... Buuuuuut, I've been around town and have seen the students in "Action" and they just are not the most respectful or tactful people that I've ever met. They don't seem to have a lot of morals or integrity and it's sad that they show that to the entire nation. The students seem to only really care for their team if they're winning. Otherwise, they don't back their team at all; which really doesn't say much for Tech as a whole. I can't see how this could possibly be appealing for future recruits... with such bad student fans, no one is going to want to pick up and play for Tech.... if they have a bad game they run the risk of being booed off the field. This isn't going to help the Tech football team improve their quality of future players. I, honestly, come from a college town where if the team has a losing season, they still sell out almost every game! I don't understand how fellow classmates can be so cold. I don't care how much you pay for your tickets... you paid for them because you LOVE your school and you have school SPIRIT; you LOVE the tradition of your school... did I hit the nail on the head??? IS this a tradition for Tech... is this what the students THINK they are supposed to do??? I have never heard of such a thing; booing your own guy#s# off the field???? Really????? Wow....

It "seems" like the majority of negative publicity that you hear of in college football comes from Tech. Throwing torillas onto the field, tearing your own schools bleachers apart, tearing down your own schools goal post, making "Vick 'em" shirts, booing your own QB off the field..... real classy, very attractive.

College football players work their butts off and this is how you treat their stadium and, you do all these CRAZY, STUPID acts and it effects their team name. No one think these things are cool. These guys love their school and the students are just giving what these guys cherish, a bad name. Maybe the defense and offense isn't as strong as it was LAST YEAR... but that was a GOOD year for Tech. Every team goes through the "rebuilding" phase. All teams have OK years. You're not supposed to turn your back on them. This is absurd. I'm not even a Tech "fan". But I do think that all college players deserve respect... any college athlete does. To treat your own guys like this proves that you're not even a fan of your own team. You're a front runner. You're shallow. You're the one who should be booed out of the stadium.

I just wish the students had more "heart" for their school. It's a shame; I really feel they are turning future athletes away.

Sig Ep on October 27, 2009 11:21 PM

*yawn* Pretty lame that you have to delete the rest of the comment because you don't agree with it.

Fact is the fans got used to winning big with Sheffield and seeing passes thrown downfield and scrambling out of the pocket if something isn't available. What do we see when Potts plays? Dump off passes to the RB.

And of course the fans are in the stands on not on the field... What kind of assessment is that? The fans are in the stands for whatever reason, they weren't born with the size, talent, etc. to be playing football for a university. I don't remember signing a waiver or agreement saying "No matter what I will cheer my team on" because personally I will boo my own team if I think they're doing a poor job. Call me a bad fan, I don't care and I don't think it's going to change anyone else either. I want to see our school win and if our fans booing a player to either make them not want to ever hear it again or actually bringing in a backup that dominates (Sheffield) is what it takes, so be it. I don't see anyone complaining about the Yankees fans when they do it. Quit crying bc you're mad your friend got booed. Potts is a big boy, he can handle himself and hopefully will come out firing next game because he has something to prove to his team and fans.

FIJI on October 27, 2009 11:22 PM

I'll boo at a game if I want. Potts has not played well this year. His yards all come off of receivers or RBs running out of the backfield because he can't throw downfield, every time he does he throws an INT. Yes, these players may pour a lot of time into football, but they also get free educations, books, food, room & board, etc. The rest of us will be leaving college with some nice loans to pay back, while they leave college owing nothing. So if they aren't playing good and are costing us to lose games that we should be winning, I will boo them. Just look at the game where Potts went out and Sheffield replaced him, it was like a completely different team with him at QB. Yea, the D's numbers aren't great but they've played better when Sheffield is in at QB. Why? Because he's going for scoring drives instead of throwing INTs and fumbling the ball or turning it over on downs (partly Leachs' fault).

Patrick on October 27, 2009 11:34 PM

Mark you know what your talking about. I really wish you could get some Tech fans in Lubbock to see this.

Zach Small on October 28, 2009 12:43 AM

I also agree that what happened Saturday night was very classless and uncalled for. Taylor Potts may be the greatest guy in the world. I have never met him personally and probably never will. I think what happened Saturday night was more the result of fans being upset with the team than with Taylor alone. Unfortunately, Taylor was singled out and forced to bear the displeasure of the fans alone.
Tech fans are a great group of people who expect a lot from their team. Unfortunate as it may be, the only way a sports fan can voice their upset publicly is to "booooo" their team at a game, sad but true. Doesn't make it right, doesn't mean they should, and most fans that do "booo" are usually the ones who have no idea what they are talking. All they know is that their team isn't playing well and they don't like it.
Sadly, I think that what happened to Potts on Saturday was the product of fans realizing that their team is playing below their capability. As a Tech fan, it has been difficult the past few years to watch a team that is on the verge of greatness, but can't seem to take the final step. So while Potts may or may not be the best man for the job, let's not forget that there is a whole team of people wearing black and red that have not been playing to their potential.
As for you Mark, I agree with you completely. What happened Saturday was uncalled for and embarrassing, I wish it had not have happened. However, don't be too hard on fans who only want to see their team play to their potential and represent their school.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 6:18 AM

Mikki -

That's actually a great point...I wonder what all the high school recruits were thinking when that was going on. I bet it wasn't, "man, I can't wait to play for these students! They're awesome!"

No...it was probably, "This didn't happen at Baylor, Oklahoma State, New Mexico or UTEP." And it sure doesn't happen at OU or Ohio State, two programs which have lost some pretty important games the last few years.

But keep on doing that to your players, Tech fans, and see how many four and five star recruits you land...Baylor's going to be beating you consistently pretty soon. Mark my words. Their football program is building a culture of support and family and they had a five-star recruit (from Waco) de-commit from Texas and commit to Baylor. That's how you turn a program around...not by booing your players to "bring them back to earth."

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 6:26 AM

Sig Ep - I deleted the rest of your comment not because I necessarily disagreed with it, but because it singled someone out and was absolutely unkind and rude. The same kind of behavior I've lashed out against.

So you can write out any bodily functions you want at me *cough*, *sneeze*, but that doesn't change the fact that you have a lot to learn about life and people.

And you all "got used to winning big" with Sheffield? Yeah, you won big, but again, how long does it take to forget that you're an average program? He played and played great for 2.5 games and that's all it takes to make you think that you're a perennial national title contender?

He is a good player...I'm not taking anything away from Sheffield. We're getting off the point, which is people and fans like "Sig Ep" have no perspective on anything and think they can say and do whatever they want and to heck with everybody else and their feelings.

And you can make fun of me all you want and call me soft, but being a total jerk to people who you think deserve it and only being nice to other Sig Ep dudes won't get you very far in life.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 6:33 AM

FIJI - It's good to have another "chanter" in on the fun.

Boo at games all you want. That'll really impress all the big recruits you have coming in. And you're absolutely right "all" of his yards come from check downs and "every time" he throws downfield is an INT. You got it right on.

And where does the sense of entitlement come from? Yeah, some people have it better than others. I would have loved to play big-time college football but I wasn't big enough, fast enough, strong enough, etc...but does that give me the right to treat people that are all those things with disrespect?

Get over it. You're not a college football player. Doesn't give you a pass to treat college football players however you want.

You'll leave school with loans. They'll leave school with a medical history of head trauma, knee surgeries, bum shoulders and broken ribs. And, yes, that's their choice. But it's also your choice to go to school and incur all those debts, too.

But, sure, you can buy tickets, window decals, t-shirts and coolers and that gives you the right to do and say whatever you want.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 6:39 AM

Zach - Thanks for commenting. I know your perspective holds value. (Zach has a family member closely associated with the Tech football program). And I wonder what that family member would do if fans started booing him??? Wouldn't be pretty!

Anonymous on October 28, 2009 8:17 AM

This article started with some promise but lost much of its credibility as it devolved into the same sort of name calling it so vehemently castigates others for.

Was the booing unfortunate. Yes.

Did it happen "over and over"? No. It happened once in the second quarter after two interceptions and yet another pass off a back foot to a location behind the intended receiver which was juggled and dropped

....and over a quarter of play watching Taylor drop back 15yds to throw a 10yd pass which would be run 4-5 yds only back to the LOS

.......and nearly a half of watching atm have 9 or 10 players within 5yds of the LOS and no deep passes thrown despite open receivers.

If we're being asked to consider Taylor's feelings, we should also consider those of the fans, who hadn't seen a home loss to atm since 1993 or a quarterback in the Leach era so unwilling to take what the defense gives you.

Add to this the fact that a 2nd string walk-on and 3rd string freshman better execute the same plays than this 4th year junior, and the frustrated fan response becomes completely understandable while still totally inappropriate.

Personally, I feel like Potts was making some inconsistent progress until the UT hit, but if, after at least one major concussion, he chose to take the field, he put his own wishes above those of the team and 60k others, so some negative response is to be expected.

Again, I believe the public and individual response is inappropriate, yet an unfortunate consequence of any leadership position.

Your Neighbor on October 28, 2009 8:22 AM

Ok ok ok, let's get this back on track. He didn't say Potts shouldn't be benched or that Sheffield or Potts is better, cut the tangents. The article is about how to or not to act as an adult at a college football game. The only tradition at Tech is that they act like this. 2nd tier program, always has been, always will be as long as people act this way. I could care less if I knew the guy boo'ed or not, fact is, Mark makes some good points. Good job Sig Ep for wanting to create a rivalry with a team that already has a long standing rivalry with a nationally known team and if you're going after somebody that would be an easy win for you now adays...pick on Baylor or Iowa State. This is so typical of Texas Tech and was my main factor in not going to that school with all my friends. I have a brother there now who wears UT shirts to class and cheered for the Aggies Friday night b/c of how bad he hates the students at Tech b/c this behavior is the norm...too bad for him that Tech is the closest engineering program to home. "Happines is Lubbock Texas in my rearview mirror", and the best thing in that town is Chimmy's.

Steve E on October 28, 2009 8:34 AM

Sig Ep: You're the example everyone needs on this blog to verify how behavior from some of the Tech students embarrasses the school. The same embarrassment that occurred when Tech students threw tortillas on the field. When a coach blames "fat little girlfriends" for his team not having the right attitude towards an opponent. *(By the way Leach, attitude is formed from the top down, not vice versa). As a former student and whose spouse is a graduate of Texas Tech, it is difficult to defend your Alma Mater when its coach and some of it's student body act like 12 year olds. But, maybe you should consider that your actions, which are "justifiable" in your own opinion, may have such a large influence on the Tech program, that those outside of the University (specifically parents of potential Blue Chip players) don't want their son playing for such a type. If that is the case, relish in the fact that it's your behavior that continues to allow Tech to have a second rate football program and continue to be commonly known as "typical tech."

Cinnamon on October 28, 2009 8:44 AM

Great article! I was just talking with my husband this morning about this situation. I feel so bad for Taylor. I'm sure he is a great kid. I knew the fans were booing him, but when I read that they were chanting "No more Potts" my heart broke. Does everyone forget about the great game he had against Texas in Austin? He has not been the same since that hit from Kindle. I read and article about 2 former players from Tech that suffered concussions(Donnie Hart and Rob Peters) and I know Donnie stated that even though he was cleared to play, that he still did not feel 100% for about 6 weeks. Who's to say this is not what is going on with Taylor.

Chris M. on October 28, 2009 9:25 AM

Mark,

Well, let me start off by saying that I'm 37 years old, married to a wonderful women, who's a Colorado Univ graduate. We have 3 kids, 2 boys & 1 girl (they are 9, 5 & 2 respectively). I am also a Tech Alum, & have had 2 season tix's for Tech football with 3 other couples (we have a total of 8 seats together), they are our best friends. We've had these tickets since 2002. From the 2002 season, to the 2009 tickets, the price has almost TRIPLED based upon many factors, but I feel this is important to note.

Now, on to your ridiculous "rant" on the Tech fan's, our University & the physical prowess of one Taylor Potts and his ability to "smash those booing him to a pulp" - I'm paraphrasing. Did I boo, or participate in the chant, no. did I WANT to, absolutely. There are a couple of quick things I want to point out to you that as a very young man you don't have a clear understanding of. First off, the world isn't a fair place, period. Secondly, those fans who pay that amount of money to see a good "product" on the field, can boo and say whatever the heck they want to about Taylor or any other player who plays poorly over and over again. I protect & defend those people's right to do/say that, JUST as I will/would defend YOUR rights to write this ridiculous, one sided, biased, rant by a person who knows about as much as my 9 year old when it comes to Texas Tech football & Tech fans.

Who are you to call these folks out? You act like some holier than thou type of individual when being a graduate of ACU, you haven't the slightest idea what it's like to be passionate & die hard about your Universities football team. It's VERY easy to be an idealist when you have no alligence to a team.

Let me also point out, because you clearly haven't a CLUE to what you're talking about. Ask around & I would be willing to bet you $50 that if you took a pole from EDUCATED college football fans about who has the BEST, most respectful fans in the FBS, that Nebraska fans would be in the Top3 for sure, if not #1. Well I can tell you on MULTIPLE occasions during the Tech/Nebraska game on Oct 17th, those fans booed their offense like crazy & chanted for their QB to be pulled as well. Then, once again, this past weekend, during a 9-7 loss to Iowa State, AT HOME, the same chants & boo's littered the game. I have heard the same from SEC teams, Pac 10 Teams, Big 10 Teams, etc.

Clearly, what it seems like to me, is that you have no clue as to what you're talking about & by calling out Tech fans for chanting, asking for a QB who has played beyond pathetic, with the same O-Line & same defense as Steven Sheffield did & he CLEARLY had MUCH more success, is part of the game. Whether you like it or not, we're not playing 5 year old soccer here where we don't keep score & everyone gets a trophy. This is a big boy's game & if you can't take the heat, then he should transfer back to Abilene and play QB for ACU in front of a few thousand fans who only are at the game b/c someone gave them the tix's.

Again, I respect your right to print & write whatever you'd like, but grow up son, this is a big boy's game with people paying thousands of dollars per year for season tix's, as well as numerous donations to the athletic fund. In return the athlete is given a $50-$70 education for his time & effort of playing.

In closing, good luck in your future endeavors, I hope you have success at whatever it is you wind up doing. Take care!

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 9:30 AM

Chris - thanks for taking the time to read and respond. I really do appreciate it.

So you wanted to boo, but didn't. Congratulations. You're an adult. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I never said booing in general was bad...read some of my comments. I'm just talking about focusing on one player in their home stadium...Potts was my example, but I was saying it shouldn't be done anywhere, anytime in the college ranks. If you want to write, say, do anything to express displeasure about a player's performance? Great. Do it. Just not in that venue.

I like how you just make up a stat to back up your Nebraska argument. Well, I'll bet you $10 that if you did a poll, 90% of people would agree that 37 years old isn't really that much older than 29. "Grow up, son?" What are you, Gandalf?

And, again, I NEVER said anything about whether or not Sheffield or Potts should be playing more...not the point.

Steve E on October 28, 2009 9:57 AM

Chris M...
Really? No, your serious? No, I want to make sure your really 37 years old? Wow, what did you guys do about the dinosaur problem? WOW! Well, I'm almost 38 (on Sunday) so can I call you son? Wow. seriously. I understand and DO appreciate your passion for Tech. I am NOT a fan, but did root for them last year when they beat my team, Texas. Why? Because they had the ability to do something no other Tech team has done, play in a BCS game. I DID want them to win. Why? Because they're our kids. Sorry...men. I was very upset when they beat Texas last year in Lubbock. My wife wasn't, as she is a Red Raider class of '95. But I jumped on the Crabtree, Harrell train and was ready to go. And lo and behold, what did they do? Dropped a deuce on the O-Who field and got pummeled by the sooners. Did I boo them? no. Did my wife boo them? no. Did I boo a specific player? no. Did I boo Leach? no. I just accepted reality that Tech wasn't there yet. And definitely isn't there yet. I'm also glad you didn't boo Potts. Am I his fan? no. Is he a good quarterback? no. Can it change next week? Sure. I have a neighbor whose son is a defensive lineman for Tech. Great kid. Is he the best on the field? no. Does he miss tackles? Just like every other Tech player. Does he deserve to be boo'ed when he does? no. Remember, it is a TEAM sport. Dude, go support your team like you do, but don't take offense when some of your fans make you look bad. It happens everywhere. About Texas...has McCoy had the best year? no. Have fans boo'ed at games? yes. Are they cheering "No more McCoy?" no.

Jay Saldana on October 28, 2009 10:11 AM

Mark-

I can see where you are coming from but I am not sure you know Potts as well as you think.

I have it on good authority that “he does not want to prove how good he is”, “does not care about TTU’s record”, and “Does not want to play pro”.

So when TTU’s best QB (Sheffield) is injured and the non-caring Potts plays and should be the LEADER of the team but loses badly to a huge rival at home, fans will be upset. Just because you try does not mean the fans will like you. The fans will always want what is best for the team.

Ask yourself, is Potts a part of the solution, or part of the problem??

Julio Jones on October 28, 2009 10:31 AM

I hate it when the fans boo. We got booed this weekend against Tennessee. Ever since the 85-scholarship limitation, anyone can beat anyone on any given day. The glory days of dynasties are over.

Troy Oliver on October 28, 2009 10:46 AM

Hey Chris M. -

The next time you post the ages of your children on a football blog ... you will be eliminated.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 10:53 AM

Hi Julio,

Thanks for reading. You're a real great receiver. Will you play for the Cowboys someday? I would never boo you no matter what...

Jake on October 28, 2009 11:24 AM

AMEN!

Sig Ep, you are the reason Tech has such a bad reputation and the reason for this entire article. Geez man, grow up, I'm one of the biggest Tech Football fans, born and raised cheering for the Raiders, CHEERING, never, ever in my life has it occurred to me that I should BOO a player, that's just wrong. You obviously don't know what it takes to be a college athlete, I do, been there done that, for Tech actually, just not football. If you had any CLUE how hard those guys down there work day in and day out, you would show a little more respect.

Thanks.

Rosanne Davis on October 28, 2009 12:02 PM

Finally, someone has stood up for what is right! Thank you Mark Rogers! I am a Tech Fan too, went to school there too! I can not even tell you how ashamed I have been of our Fans for booing Taylor Potts. I have many Aggie friends too and Texas friends and OU friends. Tech has the WORST reputation in the Big 12 for bad sportsmanship with the FAN BASE at Football games. Unfortunately , this has been going on for quite some time. Not just this year. It is up to the Tech Alumni, the Leaders at the University, and the COACH to lead with respect and class and teach by example. Kirk Bohls of the Austin American Statesman had great things to say about Taylor Potts after the TECH/TEXAS game this year. Last Sunday's article from him delcared "TECH FANS CLASSLESS", booing Taylor Potts. When I read that , I again was ashamed and embarassed. From what I hear from friends that were at the game, it was not just the students that did the booing, many "adults" were too. We need to support our players, encourage them to be their best and lead by example at games that we attend.For those of you critical of Taylor Potts, his stats look pretty good to all of us in the Hill Country. As far as I know, the plays are still called by the Coaches. Our team is rebuilding, and we need to support all of the players in a respectful manner, that is how TEXAS, BAYLOR, OU,A&M Fans and many other good schools are being at games and that is how these schools are getting good recruits. Thank you Mark again for a great article and I hope a wake up call to TEXAS TECH FANS.

Anonymous on October 28, 2009 12:18 PM

Chris M.

I want to point out to you that these football players aren't products. You buy your season tickets to support the university and hopefully see good football, but these guys are student-athletes, STUDENT comes before ATHLETE. You try to go to class, practice, deal with media hassles every day and then have someone boo you, or even, as you put it, call you a product. That's weak man. Give them a break! Let's face it, this is Texas Tech, we don't get the GREATEST recruits and our coaches work with what they have and are very successful at it. If you want to complain about not getting your moneys worth from your football season tickets, go get cowboy tickets, those guys are products.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 12:22 PM

No...but you forget that Chris M. is 37 and is the "all-wise" and "ever-knowing" football fan. If you don't agree with Gandalf of Texas Tech then you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about and know as much about Tech football as his 9 year old son. Sarcasm included...

Rick on October 28, 2009 12:39 PM

Mark, you can't blame the Tech fans for the way they act. Their massive inferiority complex that stems from knowing that they'll always be a Big 12 "also-ran" leads some fans to do dumb things. They know not what they do.

Kegan Carey on October 28, 2009 12:39 PM

Ok first of all ... dont take anything out of what SigEp and FIJI say. They are the armpit of this university and they have as much credibility around here as Javorsky Lane does. Chris M.... I like how you pointed out that you have 2 boys. Lets think about this, say one day they become great high school athletes and are recruited by Tech. They come here and are booed off the field. What exactly will you tell them ? Its ok because we all pay good money to watch you ? Give me a break please. Put yourself in someone else's shoes (like T's parents) before you start speaking of things that are out of your grasp. AND Jay Saldana.. I have it on good authority that you're completely wrong. I haven't really spoken with Taylor this year on the topic of football much but I can almost gurantee that he has never spoken those words or even think like that. If he felt that way .. he wouldnt be playing, simple as that. I swear it seems like people get on here and comment without thinking.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 1:00 PM

Kegan - I couldn't have said it better myself. Well done. All I've been trying to do is give some folks perspective. Well said...imagine if it was YOUR kid.

Nice armpit comment, too.

And if Taylor said those things to anybody, I'd believe that he's also got backstage passes to The Wiggles.

R Wilson on October 28, 2009 2:16 PM

Thank the Heavens above we live in a country where we all have the freedom of speech! From the fans at the Tech game who displayed their frustration by chanting "No more Potts", to the blogger who writes his biased opinion of those Tech fans by calling names. You are doing the exact same thing you chastized the fans for. Taylor Potts may be the greatest guy in the entire world (better than 99.8% of all of us?) but he is not the greatest quarterback for the Red Raiders. And as bad as we all wanted him to be the star this year, and we did, he's not. The earlier comment about "attitude reflects leadership" is spot on. His attitude (and I've seen him play twice in person and twice on TV this year) reflected in the offense and defense. You say the defense affects how the quarterback plays...it works both ways, the quarterback affects how the defense plays and their "attitude" as well. I was at the game Saturday along with my Tech student. Do you honestly believe Tech students chanted this to embarrass Taylor Potts, his close friends or his family? It was done out of frustration about a team that we all had such high expectations for and hasn't been delivered, and as much as I know you hate to admit it, Taylor Potts plays a roll in that frustration, as do many others. This frustration by student fans (and I emphasize student) happens at home games around the country every Saturday...

Jamie on October 28, 2009 2:23 PM

Mark - Great article. People need to remember Taylor is someone's son. He's a KID... Seriously. Get a grip and as the old phrase goes, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Frat Daddys - Unless you can pull a Matt Williams and come out of the stands and play football in 2-3 weeks, YOU have NOTHING to rant and rave about. HAHA - Good luck to YOU. Just shut it and support you team.

CM - NCAA rules keep us from having "products" on the field... Go to Dallas and watch the Cowboys if you want "product football."

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 2:37 PM

It's comments like "R Wilson's" that I have to initially think are jokes...I don't even know how to respond to this.

Yeah, it's the "exact" same thing to call out a GROUP of people who can just hide behind the group. Any player being singled out like that has nowhere to hide. Exactly the same thing.

Look, I've said the same thing a thousand times so far...re-read my other comments if you want to know how I feel.

And since you went to two games and watched two on TV, that gives you the inside scoop on attitude and leadership, just like you've been practicing four hours a day and spending every last second with the team. If I thought you were serious I would have to think you were a wannabe.

Do I honestly believe Tech students chanted to embarrass Taylor?? You don't??

Again, I find it unbelievable that a parent would feel this way...I hope this one is a joke.

John Morris on October 28, 2009 3:18 PM

I wonder how some of those chanting students would feel if they were in a class taking an all important test and every other student in the class looked at them and chanted "We hope you fail," "We hope you fail", etc. After all the test-taking student is just trying his best at what he chooses to do. The chanting students in the stadium disgraced themselves and the image of Tech football fans before the country and nothing they can say will change that.

Anonymous on October 28, 2009 3:50 PM

Tech fans thought it was ok to boo Potts because he had no support from the Coaching staff to defend his talent over the pass few weeks. The coaching staff needs to lead by example on how to properly support a player through good times and bad! Thanks for comparing him to Colt to give people some perspective!

DB on October 28, 2009 4:44 PM

Sometimes I wonder what this world has come to when peope think it is their "right" to be disrespectful, rude, and negative to ANYONE. Watching a sporting event does NOT entitle a fan to be obnoxious if they do not agree with a coaching decision, a player's performance, or the color of the jersey. My goodness....people are actually saying that because they pay for a ticket to a college game, they can act just any old way. Courtesy, decency, and respect should ALWAYS win out. We teach our children to be good sports....we need to set the example. Always remember fans....somewhere in the crowd, a very young child is watching you. Leave a good impression of what a "fan" should be. Nothing is ever only about "you". Your behavior is a ripple effect. Keep it positive.

R Wilson on October 28, 2009 6:14 PM

No Mark, it wasn't a joke at all. And I'm not a wannabe, last time I checked, college football doesn't have middle-aged MOMS on the team. I know how hard these guys work, live, breathe and eat Tech football. Am I an expert, NO, do I have an inside scoop, not by a long shot, but over the past 10 years I have been to 40 plus Tech games and have learned some things about life and football. Is it fair?no way, if it was in my world, Taylor Potts would be our star quarterback and we would win the National Championship. I truly believe the chant had more to do with frustration and the fans wanting Leach to make a QB change. More of "Put in Doege" than "No more Potts". No, I do not think it was to embarrass Taylor Potts. I do think however, your condescending replies to those you don't agree with was to embarrass. So no, it's not a joke, a Tech parent actually feels that way. I wonder how you would have reacted, if at all, had Taylor not been a close personal friend.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 6:27 PM

R Wilson....speechless. You got me. You win. Unbelievable. I can't even form a rational thought to respond to someone who condones that type of behavior...under ANY circumstances. Wait...this IS a joke!! HA! You almost had me...

Kegan Carey on October 28, 2009 6:48 PM

If the fans wanted a QB change, why not chant " We want Doege". I mean I hear someone trying to swing this in a positive way and it aint going to work mam. I respect what you're trying to say but believe me, I know Tech fans, it was to embarrass him. Like I said in a previous comment, this is a fair weather fan school. People dont care about the wrong run of our program. Just the current. And the last time I checked, I dont remember anyone picking us to win the national chamipionship this year. So in my mind, this year was a year to find out things and not just win. Do I believe Taylor is the best on the team? uh sure I do. Do I think the other guys are good too? sure I do. But you wont hear any tech fans thinking rationally like me because they dont care about the program and what it takes to become a powerhouse. And no one needs to give me a look what Sheffield did. The best team he has played is Neb and last time I checked, they lost to ISU. I'm a Taylor fan no secret, but if Sheffield comes back and plays and he starts to mess up, YOU WONT HEAR ME CHANTING "NO MORE STICKS".

R Wilson on October 28, 2009 6:50 PM

Where do I condone that behavior? Did I once say it was okay? NO, I did not. I did however. try to explain to someone (who obviously doesn't care to hear a differing opinion) why I felt the chant was more out of frustration than to embarrass Taylor Potts. I was at the game, I heard the chant. Again, I wonder why so condescending on your part. Name calling by anyone, including you and Tech fans is not right and I never condoned the behavior!

Sig Ep on October 28, 2009 6:54 PM

Honestly if you people think that this was a personal attack at Taylor Potts you're wrong. How many people in the stands chanting do you think know him personally? How many people do you think personally know professional players and boo them? Fans show their discontent with someone they obviously think can be better or hope that a backup can come in and get the job done. Can Potts be a better QB than he has shown this season? I think so. If you don't believe that then obviously you think he sucks because he hasn't done much this season. We were pretty close to New Mexico before Sheffield came out and made them look silly like Tech was supposed to do. This whole "class" argument means nothing, it doesn't win games and there isn't a column for it either. I haven't seen a ranking system for it on ESPN or in the BCS computers.

Oh and everyone in here whining about my comments really doesn't bother me one bit and it isn't going to change me. So if it makes you feel better to single me out, more power to you I guess. :)

Jamie- So unless you're on the team you can't be a critic? Oh. That's interesting... I guess ESPN should be notified that they're wrong.

R Wilson hit it dead on. Student fans get mad and student fans let their team know it... They're anywhere from 17-23 years old and that's how they act. The blogger who wrote this looks to be about early to mid 30's so I would hope he has a more mature outlook on what happened.

And haha at you trying to ridicule Chris M for his comment by calling him names and what not. Don't get your panties in a wad because someone disagrees with your rant.

Unbelievable... on October 28, 2009 7:06 PM

Mark Rogers you are acting like the students you chastised in your responses to R Wilson. Are we supposed to take you seriously? Some fans got upset and voiced it by chanting something they probably shouldn't have. Mob rule. Someone started it and a bunch of angry (possibly intoxicated) students joined in... Are you seriously surprised??? Try acting/posting like the adult that you made yourself out to be in your original blog post rather than attacking someone who has a different viewpoint than you.

Steve E on October 28, 2009 7:14 PM

R Wilson...wow. Again, as I stated earlier, it is fans like you who completely embarass Texas Tech. Grow up. You have "HIGH" frustrations? Try cheering on North Texas. They don't even boo their team. Especially one particular player. Get a clue.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 7:15 PM

OK, c'mon now...I'm not attacking anyone. Just being a little sarcastic. I'm not going to go after a mom. If I did that my mom would kill me. And so would my mother-in-law!

As we close the day out I'd like to say one thing: I REALLY appreciate everybody that commented today...seriously. It's been a lot of fun.

Agree with me or not, no big deal. This just gives us a little break from arguing politics...

I certainly hope you all continue to check the blog every now and then to see if you can weigh in on anything else I might have to say...agree or disagree.

Thanks again!!!

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 7:17 PM

Oh and by the way Sig Ep...I'm 28. That was a low blow...it's because I'm balding, isn't it?

R Wilson on October 28, 2009 7:37 PM

Steve E-

I'm 50, how much more do I need to grow up? How do you think I have embarrassed myself or Texas Tech? Just offering a different perspective of the "chant" since I was actually at the game. I will proudly stick with and cheer on my Red Raiders!

and mark... just giving my opinion in as courteous a manner as possible. And in conclusion to my posting about this, I like the fact that you still have a little fear of and respect for your mom!

Sig Ep on October 28, 2009 7:38 PM

Wasn't meant to be a low blow... It was simply my observation.

Grant Cunningham on October 28, 2009 7:41 PM

I just moved to Lubbock this summer to pursue some more school. It's weird because I always swore I'd never live in Lubbock and I grew up hating Texas Tech football. Yet, as their team got better and better, and the reality that I would need to go to Lubbock for school became clearer and clearer, I decided to give Tech football a chance. You have to understand first that I'm not a fair weather fan (I bleed Rangers red and blue) and dedicate myself to a team only when I can tell that they're worth following for reasons above and beyond winning. Things like passion and integrity. Crazy, right? I have to admit that I jumped on the Red Raider bandwagon pretty easily once I got here. It was fun too. Yes, even when they lost Texas and Houston. Now I'm just angry and embarrassed. Angry because I know how good of a person Potts is (how he played is immaterial to me in light of what happened) and embarrassed because I got sucked into pulling for a school where some of the students would belittle a man who gives so much without asking anything in return. Yes he's on scholarship and receives stipends for food and books. He also took an illegal blow to the head and spent time in the hospital. He's chased on weekends by behemoths that want to take his head off. Wanna give up your school loans for that? No need for anyone to respond because we all know the real answer to that one. Besides, you probably couldn't have hacked it in college football even if you wanted to. I imagine that the only person more disgusted with what happened on Saturday is Potts, but not because of the booing. Rather, because he didn't get to achieve the one goal that he lives for week in and week out: to see Tech with more points on the scoreboard than the other team. Can you seriously boo that? There will be more people come on here and make foolish comments, further demonstrating their ignorance, but who cares? I'll just stick to the fact that I'm proud to be a Potts fan, whether he's on the field or the bench. As for that bandwagon I jumped on to...well, I'm considering walking.

We don't want you on October 28, 2009 8:00 PM

Grant Cunningham- Go ahead and jump off the "bandwagon" (I didn't know a "second tier" school could have one). We don't want fans like you anyways.

Wow... on October 28, 2009 10:20 PM

mark rogers, you're embarassing. Stop making such a freaking big deal out of this. You are causing more drama by creating this blog. Drop it, ya know what, you're not gonna do anything about it. If this is how you get your perks in life, you need to find a new hobby. I take great offense to the way you speak of Tech fans. I'm a Tech student, and am completely ashamed of this article. I find it a little silly that we chanted a phrase, and that means we are idiots...right? And we should be "forced to eat nothing but molded oatmeal and spoiled milk for the rest of their idiotic lives." because of what we said. If that's the case, you should have to walk on nails and broken glass while wearing 10lb weight around your ankles?

Congratulations for being a complete [administrator edit]

Bryan Levrets on October 28, 2009 10:53 PM

I am about as big of a sports fan as they come. I love the Texas Rangers, the Dallas Mavericks, and the Dallas Cowboys with everything I have. I absolutely love the art of heckling. With that said I could not imagine sitting in the stands at a Cowboys game and chanting "No more Romo." That is the Quarterback of MY team. As I recall Potts pretty much single handedly kept Tech in the game against Texas. Potts managed to throw for over 400 yds and 3 TD's against a team that hasn't given up more than 1 passing TD to any other QB this season. Texas has given up less than 200 yds passing a game and only 8 TD's through the air this season and that includes Potts' 420 yds and 3 TD's. He sits a couple games with a horrible concussion, that he originally got in the Texas game and tried to play through it (good coaching), and all of a sudden everyone treats him like the worst player to every play for Tech. That is complete garbage on the part of the coaching staff and the fans of Texas Tech.

Lets dive into the numbers a little more. Who did Sheffield beat? I'll give him NM, K-State, and Nebraska. Sheffield threw for 234 yds and 1 TD against a good Nebraska team. He threw for 490 yds and 7 TD's agaist a K- State team that has given up the 10th most passing TD's in college football. Congrats. He threw for 238 yds and 3 TD's in just over a half against NM. NM has given up the 7th most passing TD's in college football. I'm happy for him.

Potts played against a Houston team that was in the top 20 in pass defense, and a Texas team that is in the top 10 in total defense. Last time I checked his team was in both of those games well into the 4th quarter. He threw 3 picks in the 1st game of the season to North Dakota, but also accounted for 4 TD's and a win. 7 TD's and no picks against a bad Rice team.

I am a Taylor Potts fan. I like him as a player and as a person. Graham Harrell in his first full year as a starter had a QB rating of 145.8. Potts to this point in the year has a 146.2. It is absolutely ridiculous to change starters after only a few starts not to mention when an injury is involved. As of today Taylor Potts is not 2008 Graham Harrell. Believe it or not.

It's going to take more than a skinny QB with gloves and a bunch of classless students to bring down a man like Taylor Potts.

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 11:02 PM

"Wow..." Thanks for taking time to read and for commenting.

However, we're kind of beating a dead horse on this one...it's already kind of played itself out. Read all the comments to see what all the views are...not much more that can be said.

And, c'mon, if you're going to put a hypothetical weight around someone's ankles, you gotta make it heavier than 10 pounds!! And don't make it a question...be assertive with your ill will!!

Thanks for reading!

mark rogers Author Profile Page on October 28, 2009 11:03 PM

Good numbers Bryan...I didn't even know some of that stuff.

Kegan Carey on October 29, 2009 12:01 AM

I was thinking about something while reading these that is pretty funny. I can tell some of the people who blogged were upset when we (people who dont support this tech chanting garbage) would say something in response to their (people who do support it) stuff. I was thinking "ya know, you can tell these people are upset because we are singling them out on here". So to those people.... How do you think Taylor felt being singled out ?

Baby Arm on October 29, 2009 9:46 AM

How many dropped passes by the WR were there in the game against A&M???? Exactly... Can't boo a QB for that!

Dax on October 29, 2009 11:01 AM

I'm glad this article was written. I moved here to Lubbock in 2001 and because I am a loyal fan I continue to cheer for the Tech football team in spite of many things I don't like; A team that lacks a short yardage running game, lacks a good defense, lacks creative play calling(some will disagree, but take a look at 4th down play calls), the continuous inability to anticipate a fake punts(two successful one's in a roll put on Tech versus ?? can't remember), inability to anticipate an on-side kick, but what bothers me the most is the fans(mostly student section) that have no respect and no sportsmanship for the opposing teams or even their own teams players.
There are some situations that I would find it appropriate to chant "no more so and so", maybe when a guy comes out in an interview and blames everyone around him for his bad performances and continously has off the field problems, but that's not the case with Potts. In the game in which he got the concussion when thrown to the ground against New Mexico, Carter didn't even play Leach had suspended him for a game, Potts was out there without a key lineman. This game against A&M, was dropped passes followed by Tech penalties. Yeah, he threw three interceptions, but we don't know if those interception ever get thrown if dropped passes are caught and go for Touchdowns or if successful plays aren't called back because of penalties. Some fans are idiots, it is what it is. Chant "no more penalties", "no more dropped passes", "no more weak defense". Leach needs to walk over to the tech student section and address them during a game and let them know their behavior is just as detrimental to the team as dropped passes. If I was Potts I'd leave at the end of this semester and go play for someone else if possible. Don't get me wrong Sticks has done great and maybe he is the guy for Tech, because as much as Leach likes a pocket passer he doesn't have an offensive line that can protect well enough for a guy like that. Also for whatever reason it seems the players play harder and rally around Sticks. Maybe it's an intangible that you can't put your finger on. I just hate that the fans and players don't rally around Potts the same way, maybe that's all it would take. I'd like to see him get the start and receive a standing ovation. It's ok to dream.

Rachael Holmes on October 29, 2009 3:56 PM

As a fan of Texas Tech football, and a student, and a coaches daughter, I would like to say that I am completely appalled by the Tech student section. It made me completely sick to my stomach to here them chanting that. I know I may be a little late on commenting this article but I feel the exact same way. I was embarrassed by our students and would've rather been sitting with all of the A&M fans. I went to school with Taylor and I know the games he is capable of playing. I don't care if someone is having an "off" game, you DO NOT root against your own team. I have received multiple rude comments and have been ridiculed for sticking up for Potts; but I'll do it any day. I do it at my father's basketball games, and anywhere else.
AND reading the comments from Sig Ep and FIJI, I feel embarrassed again. I am a part of the Greek Community and obviously some of our Fraternities aren't as classy as I thought they were. Too bad.
This article is wonderful and I'm glad to know that there are other people besides me rooting for Potts.

Kegan Carey on October 29, 2009 4:47 PM

Sorry guys I failed to point this out in my past comments but..... ya know I'm going to the game on Saturday, I dont miss any games. But I was sitting around thinking, how am I supposed to go to a game and support a team, when the players on that team wont even support one of their own? I havent heard any of the players stick up for T ..... pretty dang shocking to be quite honest. I guess where I played ball we considered teammates brothers and had each others backs. We still do to this day. Apparently not here.

ron holmes on October 29, 2009 4:53 PM

For the record, I am a college coach entering my 20th year at the same school. I was in attendance at the football game between Tech and A&M last Saturday night. I was very disappointed in the student section yelling "No more Potts" and really felt for Taylor. I do want to pose a question to the kids that choose to yell against their team. If your work was scrutinized formally once a week, had numerous newspapers committing a whole sports section to your work, had television stations locally and nationally giving air time to your work, just how hard would YOU work?
There's too much to Taylor for him to dwell on what is being said about him. In college athletics, one must have more butt than they have teeth and I'm sure Taylor will be just fine.
I think the team lost; not Taylor by himself. Hang in there Taylor.

OldRed on October 30, 2009 1:12 PM

First, I acknowledge that chanting "No More Potts" is not what I would call appropriate. Booing amateur athletes in general is not something I would advocate either.

But to put things in perspective here, have you seen one of the last two Nebraska games? By all accounts, Nebraska has one of the most loyal and dedicated fanbases in the country and they are known for their classy behavior. They have sold out that huge stadium more than 300 consecutive times. That's a longer period of time than you've been alive, Mark. And yet they have booed the poor showing of their offense loudly in the last two weeks. Are they classless idiots, too? Do they also make you absolutely sick? Or are you perhaps blinded by your emotional attachment to Taylor Potts? So much so that you take great liberty with the truth.

I was at the Tech-atm game. My seats are directly across from the student section. I never heard the chant that has been widely reported and greatly exaggerated by people such as yourself who were not there. Nobody who sits around me that I've talked with heard it either. One or two students I know said they did hear it, but it was a weak chant made by only a few students and it died out almost immediately.

But people like you want to blow it up into some huge spectacle, and then brand an entire school and fanbase with all the negatives you can think of. I saw your disclaimer where you limit your remarks to the "mass of people" who were doing the chanting. Taking a handful of students (probably drunk) and blowing them up into a "mass of people" is what old-school people like me call telling an outright lie.

As I stated, I'm never a fan of booing kids, and especially not a fan of singling out one kid in particular. Those few students who did this should be condemned, no argument there. But perhaps before you start publicly denigrating a great many more people than were actually involved, you should find out what the ____ you're talking about first. Those few kids were stupid, but you are intentionally dishonest.

Jake on October 30, 2009 4:06 PM

Let me post my thought on this. I think both parties in this "argument" are wrong in their own ways. I did not boo Potts but I definitely understood where they were coming from.

In general, the student section feels like we're the only one's who actually care about the team when we're at home. I hardly ever see alumni, west siders or anyone not in the student section standing up and cheering their brains out (speaking of which, there was a zombie walk on campus yesterday....interesting stuff). It's doubly frustrating when games like A&M happen because we feel like we're putting in all we have to the game and we aren't getting any help. For example, the first time it really got as loud as it should have in the stadium is when the non students finally seemed to have interset and started cheering and standing up. It should be like that all the time. Along the same lines, we pay a lot of money to the school and athletic depatment through fees, tuition,etc. In all honesty, we're no different than the people paying money for the ticket but we just pay for it ahead of time. It would be nice to see a good product on the field for the money people put in. Now, not an excuse to boo but it might give some insight why they might have.

As a fanbase, we've supported Potts for 4 1/2 games and he hasn't really improved all that much. He's still throwing off his back foot, still standing and holding the ball too long, still not making smart decisions. If he's not fit to be in there from the concussion, then that's Leach's fault. If anything, I believe that chant was directed at Leach instead of Potts because I could hear people around me talking about needing to tell him to take him out. That's just my interpretation of it....Although I'm sure some people did have more malicious intent.

On the topic of your post...Personally, I don't feel that two wrongs make a right. You say it's classless to do what they did, but how is that any different than what you're doing? You are singling out a group of people instead of one person, but the intent is all the same. If you really feel that strongly, there's a way to get your point accross without doing the exact same thing. Maybe you see it differently but by calling people "idiots" and saying they had "idiotic lives", that sounds like an attack to me. Next time you feel the need to post like this, please think about it and make sure you aren't doing the same exact things.

Aron on October 31, 2009 10:15 AM

Average football program? Maybe. Certainly this year.

You, also, are an average writer with an average opinion. I would even argue a below average writer.

I for one am one of those Tech students you speak of that incurrs the loan debt. 40K+ actually while earning three degrees from that institution. For that money, I have a lot of school pride, much of wich comes from our "averge" football program. What you fail to take into account is that as a contributor to the university, I expect results. No it is not pro football, but rather is a game played by young college kids. Nevertheless, I expect my team to field players who give us the best chance to win and I along with many other people do not agree Potts is the best investment. Good numbers yes. But he cannot get his head out of his ___ half the time and for that does not need to be the guy on the field.

I have invested much into that school and that program. If I don't agree with the product or the moves being made to improve the product, you can bet I'll boo. It is about the team. Not him. If he compromises the team, get him out especially when it is his mental mistakes that do him and the team in. Nobody questions his ability, but rather his mental state. The concusion is no excuse now. I hope he plays well today if he even sees the field. But if he doesn't play well, get his ___ out of there. Boos or not.

Austin Sherwood on November 1, 2009 6:55 PM

Hey Mark, I can’t believe you are against students singling out and degrading a student-athlete for the sole purpose of embarrassment? I mean, with an elite program like Texas Tech a few incomplete passes and INT’S is simply unacceptable and cannot be tolerated. We are talking about the 1957 Border Conference Champs here. The 1994 SWC co-champions…a student body that attends a University with this kind of winning tradition knows exactly what they are talking about. Its their right to be classless. This is an elite program we are talking about! (Extreme sarcasm intended, thought I better clarify judging by the intelligence level of people like “Wow…”)
It’s rather unfortunate that this happened to Taylor, but I don’t think it is really a surprise to anyone is it? People do not expect anything less from the Texas Tech fan base. No Potts is not going to perform as well against A&M as he does against Phoenix Online, The Anson School for the Blind, and all the other monsters on the Tech schedule every year. However, this does not excuse the actions of the truly IDIOT tech fan base.
Lets leave it to Julio, the only Division 1 STUD to comment on this post and whose opinion actually holds some weight…booing is not cool, especially your own team.
Taylor, just come back to ACU. We will embrace you with open arms. Not boos.
Stay classy Texas Tech!

BTW…heard about this article in your wife’s class on Thursday, nothing but respect and admiration for you Mark.

Kegan Carey on November 4, 2009 12:02 PM

I havent commented on this post in a while but here's something different for a change, Tech players actually supporting one of their teammates. The DT quoted Baron and Brynes as saying the credit for the second half explosion in the running game belongs to Taylor. Only 2 of the runs were called plays in the huddle. Both of those plays combined went for 16 yards. But wait, how did we have so many rushing yards in the second half? That means this quarterback that "has his head up his _____" as someone said, came in and won the game not by his talent, but by his knowledge of the game. Look I go to Tech and have been a fan all my life so I understand that most tech fans dont realize stuff like this because most tech fans wouldnt know the game of football even if that was what they were studying here. And I know Tech fans want a good product on the field because I'm one of them. But just because we're not going to the National Championship this year doesn't mean the world is going to end. Think about football before last year, Our best season equaled the same record as last season. So this is another par season, so what. We'll get it figured out, we're not going to have seasons like last year every year. No one does. One thing I do want to say is how about that O-line. They finally decided to get after it. It's terrific they got Marlon Winn off protection side because he has defiantly not been his best over there. If those guys will play up front, it wont matter who is at quarrterback.

Previous Entry: