HomeBloggersJames from Circ

The Ride

Why in the world would I title a post "The Ride"? Is this going to be about a special drive around the loop (17mins is the shortest amount of time it has taken me). Or is this about a family drive to Chicago (14 hours from Dallas).

None of the above. This is about a song. One song that I have in my possession and no one else does. "The Ride."

Memory Lane (get comfortable, if I explain this well enough it could take a while):

karate-kid-poster01.jpg
The year was 1984. I was six years old. I loved ninjas. I mean loved ninjas. I think I was a ninja for Halloween 3 years in a row. Ninjas were and still are awesome.

"Karate Kid" was in the movies theater. Daniel Larusso had it all: Elizabeth Shue; he played soccer; and he could do Karate.

The soundtrack to this movie has always been an interesting conversation. Yes, these are the conversations I have on regular basis: "What songs were left off the soundtrack in ______ movie?"

For instance, "Forest Gump" left off several wonderful songs from its two-disc set.

Anywho, "Cruel Summer" by Bananarama was not on the "Karate Kid" soundtrack. Seriously, the best song from that movie is not on the soundtrack, unless your favorite part is the same as mine (because everyone likes the same part, right?) - when the motorcycles ride onto the beach and run over the jam box at the beach party. This is where Ali is learning how to juggle the soccer ball, and Daniel eventually gets beat-up with a swift kick in the stomach.

That song is called "The Ride." It was sung by a group called The Matches, and you will never find it. In fact, I would be willing to bet lunch at a restaurant of your choosing in Abilene, that you cannot find this song (I will need audio proof). This is in writing, so I guess I am bound by it.

However, I do possess a copy of this never released song, and now you can be jealous.

OK, seriously what is your favorite part? Vote in the poll.

Comments

This site does not necessarily agree with comments posted below -- responsibility lies with the relevant reader alone.

Posted by: Tron Carter- Columbia, MO on May 22, 2007 5:48 PM

Is Ralph Macchio going to be interested in collecting some type of revenue for the usage of his likeness in manner?

I was just hoping you might mention Billy Zabka, the legendary blond-haired frat-boy jerk from every movie in the 1980's. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Scott Kilmer on May 22, 2007 7:29 PM

James,

Who doesn't love ninjas? I mean, wouldn't the world be a much better place if they were commonplace?

Speaking of, I have no doubt they could 'Save Bob'

Posted by: ron konstantin on June 12, 2007 12:03 PM

I love "The ride" by David Allan Coe, if I rember his name correclty... ;)

Posted by: Harold on June 24, 2007 2:47 AM

Hey James,
I've been searching for years, years and years for this. If you would be so kind, could you please send me a copy to harold7112005@yahoo.com. You're the king for finding it. Thanks for any help in advance.
Harold

Posted by: Lj on January 8, 2008 8:39 PM

Hi James, nice reading.

If you do actually have a copy of The Ride by Matches would you be Karate Kind enough to send it to me at lj1_03@yahoo.com? I also have a number of exceptionally rare eighties soundtrack gems (Just One Of The Guys, Armed & Dangerous, The Wraith, Best of the Best, etc.) and would be more than willing to repay the favor!

Thanks in advance, Lj

Posted by: Ron on January 31, 2008 11:37 PM

I'm also a collector of obscure 80's movie tunes...if you are looking for a song, let me know if you would like to trade for this awesome and extinct song from KK.

Posted by: Brad on February 1, 2008 7:38 AM

Awesome find! If you're willing to share could you please send me this long, lost Karate Kid gem at bbusta4757@gmail.com? This would definately beat out the day I finally got my hands on the rare "Live Wire" from KK3!

Posted by: Sam Rose on December 16, 2008 12:14 AM

James,
This is Sam Rose, 1/2 of Matches and co-writer of "The Ride". I noticed there are a few people interested in getting there hands on a copy of our song. If you would be so kind to refer them to my brother Geoffrey: geoffreyrosephd@sbcglobal.net
He would be happy to send them a copy. Incidentally, the recording in the movie was our demo tape used "as is".
Thanks for your interest and help.
Sincerely,
Sam Rose

Posted by: Geoffrey Rose on March 19, 2009 4:03 AM

James,

Thanks for keeping the secret of "The Ride" for so long. I just wanted people to know that as of mid to late April '09 people will be able to download a copy of "The Ride" from the Karate Kid movie, as well as four other songs from our 1984 EP titled "The Ride." iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon.com and several other sites will carry it.

Also, and I hope you're cool with it... I've included a snippet of your blog for use as the liner notes for the online EP.

Many thanks again,

Geoffrey Rose for Matches

Posted by: Dustin on March 19, 2009 12:14 PM

Hi my name is Dustin I have been wanting a copy of this since I 1st saw this movie when I was 2 years old please could you send me a copy thank you so much

Posted by: Patrick on March 19, 2009 6:21 PM

Thanks Geoffrey Rose for making your song available to the masses, I am glad to see that there are many other people out there who have wanted this song for over two decades now! Man that makes me feel old.

Apart from "Cruel Summer" and "The Ride" there was another song left off the soundtrack; a song by 'Broken Edge' called "Please Answer Me" which was played during the Halloween school disco scene. Has anyone ever been able to source that one?

Thanks again Geoffrey.

Posted by: Scott on June 2, 2009 8:33 PM

Its on Itunes now where is my free lunch :)