« Uh oh, the weekend forecast MAY be changing | Main | Fall Around the Corner & an Upper Low »

September 1, 2006

August Stats Day and weekend forecast

Good morning everyone! It’s Friday!!!!!

The “Cut off low, Weatherman’s woe? is going to form north of Kansas City this weekend (Dr. George Fishbeck, my idol growing up in Los Angeles, came up with that name for this kind of storm years ago). I am now expecting this system to track north of Kansas City which will limit our rain chances considerably. Let’s see how the new data looks later today.

Today is also August Statistics Day, so here are the stats:

Highest temperature: 104 (1st, 6th)
Lowest temperature: 61 (15th, 30th)
Rainfall: 7.66?

Here are some more rainfall totals (June-August totals as well)

KCI airport: 7.66? (12.13? June-August total)

St. Joseph: 7.33? (13.15?)

Downtown: 7.28? (12.84?)

Lee’s Summit: 5.06? (12.57?)

Gardner: 5.70? (15.79?)

Olathe: 8.11? (17.22?)

Pleasant Hill: 5.80? (11.77?)

Chillicothe: 6.07? (11.09?)

Sedalia: 2.43? (5.79?)

If you have August and three month totals please let me know. We are going to make a graphic for the weathercast tonight.

Posted by at September 1, 2006 8:14 AM

Comments

**********************
With the early cooler temps, does this mean we might have a cool winter with lots of snowfall?
---------------------------
Joel,

This months weather has nothing to do with what will happen next winter. I firmly believe this.

Posted by: Joel at September 1, 2006 8:56 AM

Hey Gary,
Have you announced the winner of the hottest day contest? I know it wasn't me but was just curious who won.
One more question for you. Is there a place I can go to find information on any developing storms in the Atlantic? I have tried noaa.gov but can only seem to find info on current storms. The reason I ask is that we are supposed to be leaving for Ft. Lauderdale next Saturday and I would like to keep an eye on the weather.
Thanks Gary! You are the best!
Jeanie
Jeanie,

Search for the Tropical Prediction Center. We haven't announced the winner of the "hottest day" contest, but we will next week.

Posted by: Jeanie at September 1, 2006 9:02 AM

Wow, no wonder everything GREENED up!
Debbie,

It is beautiful out there! But we will need more rain soon.

Posted by: Debbie at September 1, 2006 9:30 AM

Hi Gary,

Yes, it's the guy watching John again. I'm still not convinced that our Mexican friend won't make a run for the border. I saw these computer models and only one shows the storm wandering out over cold water.

The rest seem to be pointed at the Imperial Valley (or Colorado River). With such strange weather right now, would this moisture change our forecast?
-----------------------------

John is still on the Gulf of California side. Let's see what happens.

Posted by: buddynoel at September 1, 2006 9:50 AM

**********************
We so enjoy you and the group you have on TV. Think Brett was in Wichita when we lived there???? And Jamie is pleasant to watch and she is good too. I'm just learning the blog so it's been fun to check into.
Ginger,

Brett wasn't in Wichita, but maybe you saw him somewhere else. This is the best team of meteorologists I have ever worked with! Thank you for the kind comments.

Posted by: Ginger at September 1, 2006 9:56 AM

The numbers from my station (SW Lawrence..Clinton Parkway & Kasold) are...
May 1.7"
June 0.83"
July 4.63"
August 4.76"
YTD 19.15"

Bob
Bob,

You at least went over 10 inches for the three months, barely.

Posted by: Bob from Lawrence at September 1, 2006 10:48 AM

Today is the officially the first day of "meteorological fall"! for what ever thats worth. Do you think that we could still see some "instability showers" this weekend with the cold air aloft?
Thanks for your time.
Nick in St. Joe.
--------------------------

We would see some instability showers if the upper low comes close to us.

Posted by: Nick Rau at September 1, 2006 12:14 PM

Is there any truth in the old saying, "Red sky at night, sailors delight; Red sky at morning, sailors take warning.

Thanks, Karen
Karen,

Yes there is. If we have a red sky in the morning then this implies clouds are increasing from the west and could be associated with thunderstorms, or an approaching storm system. If the sky is red in the evening then the setting sun is in the clear and the lit up clouds are moving away which implies nice weather is moving in.

So, it does work....sort of.

Posted by: Karen Toepfer at September 1, 2006 1:12 PM

I was looking at some data that showed Hurricane John and it remnits not turning out onto open water but across the 4 corners, and right to Kansascity! is that likly to happen? i just want to say that you guys do a great job with the weather. thanks

Andy
Andy,

There is no way we will get any impact from the moisture associated with John. The flow aloft just won't bring any of it our way.

Posted by: Andy at September 1, 2006 1:21 PM

************************
Its official. Last week's front ended summer. The pattern is completely different. The jet is back into a different flow now, and not the typical E/W Canadian flow. Looking at the long term GFS, I can confidently call off Summer. Fall is here now. Just my opinion..which I know will be disagreed with, I think patterns are even starting now that we will see again early October [ducks under the Gary jab]. I am happy to finally have a prolonged Fall..its my favorite season, and nice temps make it all the better!
-----------------------------

It is nice to get this sudden start to fall. But, we have a few warm days left in the cards. Summer as we were used to it did die last week. And, no, this pattern won't be around as we go into October.....jab, hook, jab.

Posted by: Scott at September 1, 2006 1:39 PM

I'm supposed to be painting the exterior of my house this weekend in Independence, will the rain hold off on Sunday??
Chris,

Unless the upper low makes a sudden southward turn we should be mostly dry.

Posted by: Chris at September 1, 2006 2:13 PM

Who won the hottest day Contest ?
Steve,

We will disclose this information next week.

Posted by: Steve at September 1, 2006 3:43 PM

Yeesh, down in the 70's all week, even hitting barely 70 midweek. Is it winter already?
Jeri,

Wow, what a sudden end to summer. I am loving it.

Posted by: Jeri Correll at September 1, 2006 4:09 PM

Gary, I lived in So. Cal and Dr. George Fishbeck was the best weatherman around. We have only been living in KCMO for five years and I think you are the only weather person who has used “Cut off low, Weatherman’s woe?
Now I know why we trust your forcast. I keep a rain guage out on our deck and check it around ten each morning. We had .69 in May, June was 1.31 and July 4.15 but August was the biggy 10.3
We live in N. KC but I could hit a golf ball into Gladstone.
Richard,

Wow, what an August! Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Richard Rogers at September 1, 2006 4:50 PM

Hello Mr. Lezak,
Is there a chance that the storms in south central nebraska may make it here tonight?
Ben,

No chance. The weather pattern is blocked up.

Posted by: Ben Tracy at September 1, 2006 5:30 PM

Tonganoxie 2006 Summer Rain Totals:
June: 1.29"
July: 2.53"
August: 9.17
3-month Total: 12.99"
YTD: 23.89"
--------------
Thanks Jake,

I will use your totals at 10.

Posted by: Jake at September 1, 2006 6:05 PM

I have what may be a dumb question...Are hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons all the same type of storms? Are they just named differently depending on the region of the storm? A typhoon looks like a hurricane to me just located on the other side of the ocean. Thanks Gary :)
------------
Donna,

Good observation. A typhoon is a hurricane. But a cyclone is any low pressure area. A weak low over western Kansas can be called a cyclone. Some areas of the world do call hurricanes cyclones though.

Posted by: Donna at September 1, 2006 7:35 PM

I'm going to guess that Ginger saw former NBC Action News meteorologist Brian Greenwald in Wichita at KWCH in Wichita with their famous meteorologist Merril Teller many years ago.
Jon,

I was thinking that she saw Brian Greenwald as well. By the way....Brian is still in Kansas City enjoying a new career. He owns a business and he is in real estate.

Posted by: Jon at September 1, 2006 10:27 PM

I just wanted you to know that I have never experienced an individual with such passion for what you do, and such a skill for doing it. My wife and I only listen to you for our weather and we thoroughly enjoy your casts. You are awesome. Please keep doing what it is you are doing!!!

Posted by: Dan at September 2, 2006 2:07 AM