« Hot and Severe | Main | Dry until Thursday »

September 17, 2006

Feeling Like Fall

TODAY'S NUMBERS:
HIGH: 82 (midnight high... afternoon temps have been in the 60s!)
LOW: 62

The early morning showers and thunderstorms brought some welcomed rain... and no severe weather to the Metro! Here is a round-up of rainfall amounts:

KCI: .96"
DOWNTOWN: .56"
OLATHE: .55"
TOPEKA: .55"
ST. JOSEPH: .78"
EMPORIA: .70"
CHILLICOTHE: .14"
LAWRENCE: .28"
SEDALIA: .31
KIRKSVILLE: .93"
KNOB NOSTER: 1.15"

Here is a look at the doppler estimated rainfall totals... It looks like Dog still has the whole black-hole effect going on... Blue Springs and the SE side of the Metro continues to be very dry:

sept dog hole.gif

We have been stuck under clouds, throught the day... left-over from thunderstorms that increased to our south. They should clear out a bit as we head through the overnight hours... and that will allow temperatures to drop to almost chilly readings! Upper 40s to around 50 degrees!

Cool, but quiet weather will continue Monday and Tuesday. Then we should start a return-flow set up Wed/Thu... bringing warmer air in. And of course... not too far behind that... is a rain chance! It is still a changing forecast... but we could see rain Thursday into Friday. We will update you as we go along!

I can't believe it's just about half time... and there is still no score! Come on, Chiefs!! I REALLY dislike the Broncos!!!!! I grew up a Browns fan... and I think it has something to do with "The Drive". ;)
Jamie

Posted by at September 17, 2006 4:09 PM

Comments

***********************
Greetings from "Non-Event Land" aka Blue Springs. Those few inches we got at the end of August were a welcome relief from the drought, but unfortunately, that period did not necessarily mean an end to the dry and grudging amounts of rainfall. September so far has been quite dry here at my house - .87 and we are 17 days into September. I read or heard, somewhere, that drought periods of the 1930s and 1950s often saw brief interludes of quite abundant rain, then the spout turned off to continue the drought through multi-year cycles - this may or may not be the case this time, but I would not be surprised to see this happen.

But time will tell.

Dog

DOG:
Long time, no blog! Good to hear from you again. Those totals are really lacking for Sept. Maybe we will get some more rain later this week. Otherwise... your dry hole will continue...

Look at my update to the Sun. night blog.
J

Posted by: StormDog at September 17, 2006 5:12 PM

***********************
We got .35" of rain in Clinton. How are you guys doing? Im doing good putting up with school LOL. I can't believe I am a Senior Go 2007! I will try to blog more now that I am back in the schedule of things.
John

JOHN:
Good to hear from you again! This is like old-time-bloggers day or something... anyway... it is good to have you all back. Senior year will be fun, I am sure! But remember to study hard... college is just around the corner! Let me guess what you want to major in... ummmmm.... meteorology?? ;)
Jamie

Posted by: John Moon III at September 17, 2006 5:21 PM

tsk tsk jamie, your watching the competition??? :) Hey, where is the rain total's for the Blue Springs area?

DAVE:
Unfortunately, not much for the Blue Springs area. One of our weather checkers (Dog) has only .87" for the whole MONTH as of tonight.

And, I *KNEW* someone would say that about watching another channel! ;)
Jamie

Posted by: Dave C. at September 17, 2006 6:15 PM

**********************
Ok, you've piqued my curiosity. What is "The Drive?"

MARLINA:
It was a sad day for Browns fans, to say the least.

I can't believe there is actually a Wikipedia page on it:

They frequently show this game on ESPN Classic just to rub salt in our wounds. ;)
Jamie

Posted by: Marlina at September 17, 2006 8:23 PM

Hi Jamie
Just wanted to give you the rainfall total out here in Louisburg for Sat. into Sun. I had 1.25 inches of rain in the rain gauge, I agree with you I REALLY dislike the Broncos too.Have a good one
Jim
Jim,

Jamie is off for a few days so I thought I would answer this. And, I hate the Broncos too. Yesterday was ridiculous and the Chiefs should have won that game. Well, maybe they will find some offense and start a winning streak but I am worried.

Thanks for the rainfall total. I saw that thunderstorm go across Louisburg. It was one of the better and larger ones of the morning.

Posted by: Jim at September 18, 2006 11:45 AM