« Strong upper level storm | Main | Severe weather threat well off to the east »

September 21, 2006

Severe weather threat on Friday

We are monitoring a complex weather situation for Friday. For more information, go to the following link from the National Weather Service. We will have more later.

Posted by at September 21, 2006 5:00 PM

Comments

*************************
The clouds have become very violent looking since the rain ended. Is this an indication of more storms or just a very turbulent atmosphere? Looks like an intresting day tomorrow.

David

Posted by: David at September 21, 2006 5:34 PM

Can you draw any comparisons from the setup tomorrow to the setup back on March 12th? I know that the setup is farther to the east than it was on March 12th, however, the latest indications are that the SPC may pull back the Moderate risk to the west tomorrow morning. Do you see any chance of a high risk at all somewhere tomorrow? I will be out chasing tomorrow and was wondering about your thoughts. Thanks Gary!

Adam Penney

ADAM:
Brett and I were trying to see the similarities this morning... but we really don't see too many. This is different... and the severe threat will likely stay to our south and to our east today!
Jamie

Posted by: Adam Penney at September 21, 2006 7:10 PM

**************************
HI Gary:

Could this be a repeat of March 12th 2006, or perhaps Nov 27th 2005? The set up is there...everything is falling into place. I think the Moderate risk will be moved west, and I hope they upgrade to a HIGH RISK beacsue I have a gut feeling it is going to be a long day. We are going to make up for the lack of severe weather last Spring. I just hope the SPC gets their ducks lined up! At least I trust your forecasting! I wish you could issue outlooks because they are much more accurate for a local area...

Later,
Brian

Posted by: Brian at September 21, 2006 8:33 PM

Gary:
Looking at the regional Radar this storm looks like a pretty powerful 'cyclone.' I thought I read once that one of these storm systems got over the Great Lakes and it actually formed what looked like an eye since it was over the warm water in the lake(like a tropical storm). Any truth to that story? Any chance of that happening with this storm?
Let's hope we don't have any damaging weather tomorrow on the first day of fall.
~MH

MATT:
Fall begins tonight just after 11pm! I am SO looking forward to it! :) Sometimes really powerful storms can form what looks like an "eye"... yesterday's storm is the perfect example!
Jamie

Posted by: Matt Haden at September 21, 2006 8:51 PM

Emergency. I got a friend who has a farm in Linn County. They are located near mound city. What the heck is going on down there. I live in OP. What is going to be the situation for Overland Park tonight into tomorrow.
Thanks.

JEFF:
There was a tornado warning down there yesterday evening. It was a doppler indicated tornado warning... and there was never any sighting. I didn't see any damage reports, either. What a weird night!
Jamie

Posted by: Jeff at September 21, 2006 8:55 PM

Just got off the phone with my friend out in linn. He said it didnt do really anything out there. He estimates that the strongest winds his farm had were around 40 to 50MPH. The NWS is getting serious for tomorrows storm system. Could it get dangerous for Overland Park tomorrow. What is your outake.
Thanks again.

JEFF:
Thanks for the Linn County report! We had some gusty winds here, too... especially as that second line came through! As for Friday... the chance of thunderstorms is mainly south and east of Overland Park. There may be a few showers/t-storms tonight...
Jamie

Posted by: Jeff at September 21, 2006 9:02 PM

******************************

Thought I would pass along my rainfall amount as it appears the rain is coming to an end for us.

Anyway, here is SW Lawrence I'm at .59" for the day...and a very welcome .59" it has been.

Bob

BOB:
Thanks for the rainfall report!

Posted by: Bob from Lawrence at September 21, 2006 9:28 PM

Hey Gary,

I know you guys are real busy, but I wanted to ask this before I forgot. I like the fact you have part of your website available via cell phones. Has there ever been any talk of letting the blog be available on the "mobile" web?

Thanks, and now back to the regular scheduled storms! yea!

DAVE:
Hope you got to enjoy the thunderstorms last night! I have not heard anything about getting the blog on the "mobile" web... but it is a good idea! :)
Jamie

Posted by: Dave C. at September 21, 2006 10:21 PM

Is there any chance at all of severe storms west of KC tomorrow (Leavenworth), or will the storm be near KC and eastward.

BEN:
It looks like the storms will even be east of KC!
Jamie

Posted by: Ben Tracy at September 21, 2006 10:25 PM

Well, folks to the west of us have the Tonganoxie Split (I know your feelings on it) but now I think we seem to be developing the Warrensburg Wadi. Whenever there is a storm approaching, at least this year and last, it seems to stall along the state line and move from south to north. Or, it just scoots north of us entirely. Tonights storms seemed to be moving from a favored direction for us to at least get some rain (southwest to northeast), but the line has been disappearing each time I watch ESP Live, the line keeps getting weaker. The trailing line also seems to be weakening, so I'm not holding out hope for that one either. Gary, what are the areas east of the state line doing wrong? When will we be included in the action? Just kidding, but we are desparate for the precipitation moving into a drier season with serious deficits left over from the previous two summers. I would just like to see one good thunderstorm sit over our area for a little bit anyway.

MIKE:
Sorry you got missed last night... that first line did weaken as it moved through... maybe the 2nd got you? Individual thunderstorms often go through different phases... and they change in appearance... which can sometimes look like they "skipped" a certain area, or they went around that area and intensified. Trust me, it will not *always* happen to Warrensburg!
Jamie

Posted by: Mike from Warrensburg at September 21, 2006 10:42 PM

Jamie, looks as if the storms kinda lightly scrapped the blue springs/grain valley area.. :(

DAVE:
Missed again, huh? You guys just keep drying up there...
Jamie