« NAM model this afternoon | Main | March comes in roaring »

March 1, 2007

A Historical Night!

Hopefully everyone stayed safe and avoived hail or property damage from the storms and possible tornadoes. If you have rainfall totals, storm damage reports, or pictures please send them our way and we will try to get them on the air and in the blog!

Send pictures to:

weather@nbcactionnews.com

and

newstips@nbcactionnews.com

If you post your rain totals and damage reports in the blog we will pass them along so everyone can see what the storm produced!

Now onto the historical aspect of the storm. We were looking back at weather records for KC and noticed that we have NEVER had a rain event like this in January, February, or March for the central and southern parts of the city. This event is extremely rare! But once again 10 years down the road when you look back at this day, the 'official' observation at KCI will say only 0.01" for February 28...AMAZING!

Here are some rain totals...

Overland Park(91st & Antioch): 4.80"
Far Southern Wyandotte County: 3.50"
Liberty(south side): 2.10"
Grain Valley: 1.10"

We look forward to seeing your pictures, rain totals, and hearing your stories from this storm!

Time to get some rest...

Posted by jnelson at March 1, 2007 1:01 AM

Comments

Holy Heck guys,
Well first off I'd like to say you guys did more than an excellent job of storm coverage last night. I was enjoying watching you guys on the television more than deal or no deal any day of the week. Anywho now about the weather. I've been paying attention to the weather for more then 3/4 my life I'm almost 25 now. IT hailed 8 seperate times! It's hard for me to see hail in my back yard(or front yard) once a season! but 8 times in one night, WOW what a storm! I feel for the people who had the tornadoes and I hope nothing huge was lost. But for weather enthusiasts this is one to remember. I live at 115th and Holmes RD South KC. The first storm that initiated around 6-6:30 over Johnson and Jackson County in the metro produced the longest lasting of the hail which was about marble sized, lasted 15 minutes and covered the ground. Then it hailed 6 seperate minor events in between as the line flexed and bowed north and south over the area. Then the Final thunderstorm at about 12:30 AM(although I'm looking at the radar now and it appears to be another one coming) produced the biggest...close to quarter sized and that lasted about 7 minutes. I'm watchin the radar now and maybe it'll hail again who knows. Always remember people will whine and moan about break-ins and wrong forecasts but you guys ARE number 1! Take care til the next one!

Jonathan,

Thanks for watching! This was a crazy night, a storm that people will be talking about for a LONG time!

Thanks for checking in!

Posted by: Jonathan Katz at March 1, 2007 1:26 AM

*********
WOW... what a storm! ok well are we still going to get snow out of this storm system? how much do you think for the kc metro?

if this whole storm was snow how much would we have?

Nikie,

I think we'll see some snowflakes in the metro...but probably no accumulation. Snow will stick north of St. Joe(maybe a little in St. Joe too).

If this storm was all snow 12" or more.

Posted by: nikie at March 1, 2007 1:49 AM

Gary and The Weather Team:

Good Morning to everybody!!! Looking at current surface obs. it appears the low has just passed over head-our temp. is currently at 37 and the winds are beginning to increase-pretty decent line of rain/snow to our west.

First off-excellent job last night by all of you-you guys were at the top of your game!! My kids and I watched you most of the night-they got a kick out of it as they know who all of you are from me Blogging on here!! Hey that's dady's friends from the weather!!!

It was very interesting/great learning night for my 7 year old-we saved the surface observations from about 7:30 and went into MS Paint and drew a line where the warm front had set up and then watched the radar as the storms moved along that front-it had just sagged a bit south of here and was between my house and Baldwin-he really got a kick out of it!!! We did have one round here last night-unfortunately, I had fallen asleep-my day job is really getting in the way of my hobby!!! We wound up with about a 1/4 inch of beneficial rain.

Hope all of you get some much needed/deserved rest today and that everybody is safe!! It is amazing how this once again kind of bisected the city-LRC rocks!!! Have a great day and once again, fantastic job last night!!!

Bill in Lawrence

PS: Jeremy: Did you have to say how much snow we would have recieved..a daggar through my heart!!!! LOL!!!!

Posted by: Bill Gollier at March 1, 2007 4:50 AM

In Blue Springs we had .87 inch of rain as of 6:30AM

Posted by: Paul Perrin at March 1, 2007 6:29 AM

*********
Good job last night tracking the storms, I guess mother nature wants to break all the rules! I hope nobody was hurt during the storm. Thanks for showing us the plaza, I could really hear the station getting hammered with rain/hail!WOW!
AND when I thought that we wouldn't see any thunderstorm activity I woke up at 1:45 A.M. and small hail was hitting my window with a thunderstorm!!! So I got some action too!
Now for the wind/cold with some snow part of the storm!
Again I do hope everybody is safe and suffered as little damage as possible.
Nick in moist windy St. Joe!

Missing out on what some of the storms isn't a bad thing. It looks like maybe 2-4 tornadoes occurred across the area last night. At least you saw a plain old storm so you didn't feel completely left out.

Posted by: Nick Rau at March 1, 2007 6:54 AM

I just want to tell you guys, you did a fantastic job last night. Gary, thank you for telling the kids that 98% of tornados only do minor damage. My kids were afraid last night until you said that, then they relaxed a bit and were able to go to sleep.
I really like the ESP! What a wonderful tool.

Julie,

We are glad your kids were able to get some sleep. I think kids and adults would have a hard time sleeping through that noise last night.

ESP is a great tool that helps us tell the best severe weather story!

Posted by: Julie at March 1, 2007 7:15 AM

Well, once again McLouth, KS .11 of rain. I enjoyed watching you cover the storm all evening though, I couldn't believe the storms in KC last night. Just a brief shower in our area that lasted no more then 15 minutes and it was over. It has been a whole different world out there, for the most part boring and maybe 6" of snow all season. Unbelievable.

Brett,

You have one of the lowest snow totals across the entire area! A couple of locations are in the same boat as you. I'm sure your time will come this spring for a good rain.

Posted by: Brett at March 1, 2007 7:15 AM

**********
My weather station says 1.67 inches of rain in the last 24 hours.

We had 3 hail events last night before 10 of pea-sized hail here in Olathe. There was one more overnight, sounded larger, maybe that was just because I was upstairs and could hear it hitting the skylight. Anybody know how big that round was?

Elaine,

Thanks for the rainfall report! Hopefully most escaped any hail damage this time around. What a crazy and early start to severe weather season!

Posted by: Elaine at March 1, 2007 7:27 AM

Weather Team,
We had 1.14 inches of rain at 157th and Horton Lane in Overland Park. At least 4 rounds of hail - mostly pea size to a 1/2" in diameter. Great job last night - hope you can all get some rest today.
Barb

Barb,

It seemed like the hail would was never going to end! Thanks for taking the time to write.

Posted by: Barb McK at March 1, 2007 7:28 AM

Hey guys just checking in here from Pembroke Hill School just south of the Plaza. My rain sensors picked up 3.10 inches of rain last night from 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM! What a storm, maybe alittle dry time would be good thing. Thanks for all you do.

Jason

********

Jason,

It seemed like the rain would never end last night! That was a tropical downpour with hail added in for good measure.

Posted by: Jason at March 1, 2007 7:30 AM

*******
In south Liberty we had 2.1 inches rain.

********

Cindy,

Thanks for checking in this a.m.

Posted by: Cindy at March 1, 2007 7:41 AM

hey jeremy, or gary or whoever is workin the station this morning,
wow! what a crazy night! i measured about 2 inches of rain all night last night up here in chillicothe. hey did you guys or anyone else figure out just how close that tornadic storm cell was to Harrisonville last night cuz my sister lives down there and she said it got really scary and eerie there for a little bit while that storm blew through. i was just wondering if anyone knew how close it really was to her. well, great job covering it last night guys, i know it was a long night! i especially liked the part where gary got on and his microphone wasn''t working and he went offset to fix it, i kinda laughed and thought, poor gary lol. anyways, awesome job by all of you last night! time for a well deserved rest.
-randy up in chillicothe

Randy,

Thanks for the rain total and positive feedback. Often times during severe weather our mics run out of battery juice. I think the batteries usually last 3-5 hours. I think we were on almost 5 hours straight last night. It always reminds you we are on live TV!

Thanks again for checking in.

Posted by: Randy at March 1, 2007 7:49 AM

********
Dear weather team
I got 3 inches and a half inches in my rain gauge in wyandotte county.Thanks for keeping me informed of the weather last night.

********

Brent,

Thanks for the total. I'm guessing there are places in NW Wyandotte county that only had about 0.10-0.25". What a storm!

Posted by: Brent Hickman at March 1, 2007 7:51 AM

********
Weather team,

I know rainful amounts can vary in only a few miles so 1.11 of rain at my house in the southern part of Grain Valley.

Jeff

Jeff,

You are correct...look at KCI. 0.01" of rain before midnight and across town there was over 4"!

Posted by: Jeff at March 1, 2007 7:55 AM

Last night, thinking we still had a little while before any problems, we ran to the Oak Park Mall area to grab some dinner. It was sunny when we left but could see the clouds building down south. No sooner did we start to eat then the sky started to darken and I could see almost constant lightning. The bus boy laughed off my weather concerns, but luckily the waitress got us checked out promptly so we could head home and rescue the dog, who was burrowed under the sheets on my daughter's bed.
I am always amazed at the people who laugh at the power of Mother Nature. I experienced this on May 4th,2003 and March 12, 2006, when I felt VERY uncomfortable and told people about the weather and your forecasts.Maybe I am not immune to this because I am from California and have a healthy respect for as well as fascination for storms but I don't understand the blase attitude of so many when you tell them of the severe potential.
You all did an excellent job and I'm sure we are all looking forward to a better night's sleep tonight.

Jeri,

The storms blew up very fast last evening. Glad you made it home ok.

Posted by: Jeri Correll at March 1, 2007 7:57 AM

**********
7:00 - My daughter and I were enjoying a picnic a tthe park -- watching some very nice storm clouds moving in. Within one hour of that -- we already had an inch of rain and hail at my house (91st and Antioch).

My rain guage 4.8 inches in it this morning!

It was an amazing storm.

WOW!

Teach,

The amazing thing was it poured rain and small hail in some spots for almost 4 hours straight!

Thank you so much for the rain report!

Posted by: Teach at March 1, 2007 8:00 AM

*********
The sun has popped out and it's snowing in Overland Park at 8:05am!

At least there shouldn't be any snow accumulation.

Posted by: Mark at March 1, 2007 8:08 AM

*********
Hello weather team. After seeing our siding ripped off the side of the house, I am getting ready to go out and see if everything else is ok. Great work last night with the weather coverage. I do need to say one thing however-people need to get weather radios!!! When we called to go to our neighbor, they were asleep and had no clue what was coming towards us. Yeah, whatever his us was small and didn't do a lot of damage, but it could have been worse. Once again, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!

Kim,

If you get a moment today send some pictures along...also send an email to the news address with your story! They may contact you later if they head in that direction to do a storm story.

Posted by: Kimberley at March 1, 2007 8:27 AM

*********
Just want to say great work last night team. I know it must have been a long night but thanks to your warnings who knows how many lives were spared.

Great Job! 2.5 inches of rain at 87th and Metcalf

Todd

Todd,

Thanks for the rain report! So far it sounds like outside of a little damage...no one was hurt physically.

Posted by: Todd at March 1, 2007 8:38 AM

********
Good morning everyone! It just started snowing here, in between Cameron and Hamilton. Thought you might like to know where the snow was starting. Thanks for all you do!

********

Glennie,

Thanks for the update. 2 storms in a row that have produced tornadoes AND snow!

Posted by: Glennie at March 1, 2007 8:51 AM

Well, it was an exciting evening all over the area! I live on the north edge of Iola, Ks and we didn't see a drop of rain, although we were in a tornado warning. I have never seen a storm cloud like that before. My family decided to stay at home and ride it out because we could tell by tracking it on radar that it was going to miss Iola. Anyway at 7:07pm, 7 miles north of here, Allen County law enforcement reported 3 tornadoes on the ground forming into a wedge tornado. And just a few minutes later, it was confirmed by another spotter who was 1 mile south of Colony in Anderson County. There was also alot of hail associated with this storm. I am excited to find out what the tornado(s) that went through Anderson/Linn Countys will be categorized- EF1? I heard on the radio that there will be a survey of damage done today, but that there was reports of houses damaged and hundreds of people without power because of downed power lines. But so far no serious injuries have been reported and that is the most important thing.
Just wanted to share the excitement with everyone and praying that everyone is okay this morning!

Tabitha,

We are glad you are safe! Hopefully all your friends and neighbors to the north are too. If you drive near the area today and take some pictures...send them along.

It is amazing that you missed the rain!

Posted by: Tabitha at March 1, 2007 9:04 AM

Looking backwards in the blog -- It seems like 42 days ago was the sleet storm we had.

Does this storm have similarities to that storm?
-------------
Teach,

Yes, this is a storm very related to that one.

Posted by: Teach at March 1, 2007 9:10 AM

Hi Jeremy!

Just an update from Maryville. It has been snowing and blowing like crazy here since about 8 a.m. (right after we got the kids in school of course!)

Sue

Sue,

I think I saw a report of 2-3" of snow in your direction. The snow should not last much longer. From severe to snow in the same storm again...strange!

Thanks for writing!

Posted by: Sue at March 1, 2007 9:24 AM

*********
At 9:45pm last night, tornado sirens went off, we received golfball size hail and winds were clocked at 62 mph in my back yard. A funnel cloud was spotted over the Justice Center (71-Hwy & 2-Hwy)Harrisonville.

Robert,

We hope everyone is okay around you. Hopefully your car was inside! When I was in WI last April 13...a hailstorm producing golf ball to tennis ball size hail moved across the parto of town where I was working in Madison. My car had just over $2500 in damage from the hail. The supercells were long lived and produced the second biggest hail stone in state history...4.25"!

If you took any hail pictures feel free to pass them along!

Posted by: Robert at March 1, 2007 9:50 AM

*********
Wow, what a night, thanks guy's for all the great work, and I am really a huge fan of the ESP. Well Olathe got about 3-4 inches of rain, we had at least 3 rounds of pea size hail before the golf ball size hail moved in at about 11pm. Checked our vehicles this morning and we do have some dings on the top of our cars and windshields. This really makes me wonder what spring will be like this year. Keep up the great work.

Christina,

I live in Olathe too and am afraid to look at my car. If you read my previous response to a blog I just had $2500+ in hail damage fixed this past summer...so I'm really hoping my car escaped the hail damage. I guess this is what I get for taking my wife's car to work last night:(

Posted by: Christina at March 1, 2007 10:00 AM

**********
I live 3 miles away from the path of the Linn County, KS tornado. Although I could see the vivid lightning, there was no thunder at all. We got no rain, no wind, no hail, and no sounds from the supercell storm.
A friend reported that the windows and seats were stripped from the cab of his tractor. Complete building vanished. Wicked storm!
My nine rescued dogs enjoy your pet segments, btw!

Ida,

We hope everyone is okay...even though it sounds like some structural damage occurred. Please pass our best along to your friends and if they want to send pictures please pass along our email addresses.

Thanks for the report!

Posted by: ida at March 1, 2007 10:09 AM

Weather Team-
I'd like to thank you for the awesome way you kept me and my family informed last night, but I have to say it made me see red when people were calling in complaining that they were missing their primetime shows. I mean it amazes me how selfish people can be. You guys did well calming the kids, who are 4 and 5 years old, and allowing them to relax and get some sleep. Even though they insisted on sleeping in the basement. Your weather team is Number 1 in my book.
Lani

Lani,

Thanks for the feedback. There's a fine line when it comes to doing cut-ins during severe weather, but when tornadoes have been reported on the ground with damage...we will ALWAYS stay on the air.

We were able to put the missed shows on overnight, so hopefully people set their VCR's & DVR's. Some of the calls and emails we get are pretty disturbing. I just laugh because I doubt the people complaining have kids...because over the past 17 months I don't think I've seen an entire episode of anything besides Playhouse Disney!

Posted by: Lani H. at March 1, 2007 10:14 AM

Thank you for the hard work and excellent coverage last night. I love the adrenalin rush I get with the approach of these storms even though I am relieved that we didn't have any damage in western Independence.

Teresa,

We get a pretty good adrenalin rush too...that's why we have to stay extra calm during severe weather. Thanks for watching!

Posted by: Teresa at March 1, 2007 10:47 AM

**********
That/this is the most dynamic and powerful low pressure region I ever recall at this time of year [or perhaps ever, it is hard to compare other seasons].
Ths swings in temps and power are amazing.

Bill,

February tornadoes are pretty rare...even near KC. Also, the rain totals were out of this world for January, February, or March!

Posted by: Bill McHenry at March 1, 2007 10:48 AM

*********
Thanks for all you guys did last night. I'm not a huge television watcher - but my husband had to pull me away from the tv last night! All I could tell is that we did get some hail - but it seemed pretty small around 95th and Nall. Thanks again!

Lyn,

Thank you to you and your husband for watching! Thanks for reporting the hail!

Posted by: lyn in opks at March 1, 2007 10:57 AM

Jeremy,

Is it my imagination or did Leavenworth get totally missed last night? My family and I fell asleep about 11:30pm and didn't wake to any thunder or hail...

By the way GREAT JOB last night. Your weather team is awesome!

Janine

Janine,

Areas north of downtown KC and also north of I-70 did not see much rain or hail. So in Leavenworth you were spared from the hail and flooding rain. I think you saw a few isolated showers and storms...but nothing that would have woke you up. Another odd storm in a season of weird weather events.

Posted by: Janine at March 1, 2007 11:10 AM

*********
hi,Gary and weather team, I want to tell you guys that you did a great job last night.I watched you at five and kept watching all the way till almost midnight. I live near Harrisonville and we got hail slightly bigger than quarters and almost an inch of rain. we also had very strong winds ,I would say around 60 or 70 miles an hour. and had damage to my house, not terrible. I will try to send the picture to you guys.

Brent,

Thanks for keeping us on during the storm last night! We are glad you made it through the storm ok. You saw both of the supercells very close to you. Pictures would be fantastic!! Take care!

Posted by: Brent at March 1, 2007 11:25 AM

*********
I live at Colony, KS and we had a fair amount of hail damage. It hailed three separate times and the smallest was probably quarter size and we found a few that were bordering on baseball size with golf ball size being the most abundant. That really does a number on siding and cars. I forwarded some pics to Gary's e-mail, do I need to re-send them to the weather e-mail? My husband spotted either a funnel cloud or tornado about 1 to 1-1/2 miles west of our house. We promptly headed to the basement and didn't seem to get much wind. I know there was some damage on the far eastern side of the county (Anderson). What a wild night and WOW it blew up fast. I've never seen a storm spawn so many funnel clouds so near us. That part was not much fun! I would have preferred the 12" of snow!!

Dana,

Sorry to hear about the hail damage, but we are glad you were safe! Gary's email folder will likely have 300-500 emails in it today. So if you could send the pictures to the email addresses listed in the blog it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the report!

Posted by: Dana at March 1, 2007 11:33 AM

Gary, Jeremy, and all:

GREAT JOB last night. Gary, I especially liked it when you were responding to the emailers who complained about the amount of coverage: "we have tornados. TOR-NA-DOs"

Is there any evidence of a microburst? I live between Harrisonville and Pleasant Hill, and after the cell that produced the hail passed, it had been fairly quiet for about 10 minutes, then there was a HUGE gust of wind that blew the cover off my hot tub...and it had been VERY well weighted down. It landed about 100 feet from the tub.

Mike,

If the big gust of wind occurred between supercells that affected your region I might guess that you had the gust front or outflow ahead of the second supercell create gusty winds in your backyard.

Thanks for your report and we'll make sure to keep everyone posted when the next round of severe weather occurs down the road.

Posted by: Mike at March 1, 2007 11:54 AM

********
It’s a little strange, but looking at the NWS Daily Climate Summary for today and last night, not a single one of their locations - downtown, Pleasant Hill, Lee’s Summit, Olathe - shows as much as 2 inches of rain. Yet I’ve seen few if any blogger reports of less than 2 inches, and most have been a lot higher. I certainly would have thought from the length and intensity of rain that our total in Northtown would be more than the inch and a half reported by NWS for the downtown airport.

Al,

There was once again a sharp cut-off when it come to the heavy rain. The Plaza area saw 2-3" of rain, while just north of downtown the total was about 0.75-1.00" lower! I thought KCI had 0.01" of precip. before midnight...but the climate summary said 0.00". That would be amazing if KCI stayed dry while the south side saw 3-5" of rain!

Posted by: Al at March 1, 2007 1:11 PM

WOW the wind is HOWLING in St. Joe we did also have a good period of wind whipped snow that lasted for a while but it didn't really stick, it tried on some of the grass though, if it had stuck better this would have been a blizzard, I heard on the radio that I-29 from Mound City, MO north through all of Iowa is closed and I-35 is closed in all of Iowa. Even though we are not having a blizzard the wind it's self is very strong. This is one unbelievable storm even here in St. Joe we went from thunderstorms with hail, to horizontal snow in 8 to 9 hours, WOW.
Nick in wind-blitzed St. Joe!
BTW, even though the snow did not stick really well, there were and are very small icicles on some of the roofs that are slanted sideways due to the wind.

Posted by: Nick Rau at March 1, 2007 2:17 PM

I think you did a craptastical job reporting the storm. Repetition and hysteria must be recipes for good ratings. I don't see why you have to be on solidly for 2 hours. Todays technology allows for multi line banners, and pillars of information, there's no reason to see Gary giving his nowcast over and over again. I know, all the local channels did it, with breathlessness and faux gravitas. A nice mix of 'Man Bites Dog' and 'Anchorman' - you fulfilled all my expectations.
Kirt,

I do understand what you are saying. And, there will be an evolution on the way to handle this in the coming years. But, when there is a tornado on the ground and threatening lives and property it is our responsibility to be on there for them. So, this is our policy. We are on in these situations. But, only when there is this big of a threat. In other severe weather situations this would not be the case. And, we would be on the way you describe.

Posted by: Kirt Thomas at March 2, 2007 8:30 AM

Next door from my home, a family whose entire history blew away with the winds is moving in. They have the clothes on their backs, and they have smiling faces because they are alive to tell their tale. We get no radio reception in this area, (hilly or something), and cable/satellite tv is our only source of information. Had you chosen to NOT air the tornado info, that rural family would probably be dead. So remember... when someone complains about tv shows being interrupted - that broadcasting weather conditions saved, and will continue to save, lives.
Ida,

GREAT POINT! I may cut and paste your message to all of the negative emails I have received.

Posted by: ida at March 2, 2007 4:37 PM

********
It amazes me the negative comments about the coverage Wed. night. Those tornadoes may not have been impacting the metro area directly but they were impacting parts of the viewing area. If it were not for all the coverage, I wonder how many lives would have been taken if not for the coverage. I, for one, appreciate the coverage. Thanks, Gary and the 41 weather team for the coverage Wed. night!

********

Kristi,

We try to take everyone's opinion into account when cutting in...but when there has been a tornado reported on the ground the decision is very easy. We will always be on when a tornado is in our viewing area. At least the programs were shown at a later time.

Posted by: Kristi at March 3, 2007 11:41 AM