« Rain already weakening" | Main | Rain this morning then more tonight, but how much? »

March 29, 2007

"Lightning and thunder"

Special weather bulletin

8:22 PM and thunderstorms have developed near Overland Park and they extend south to near Paola in Miami county. These are developing just ahead of an area of rain and thunderstorms that hasn't started weakening yet. It appears we will have a nice soaking over the next few hours. New data is just rolling in on the next two days. I will try to blog later this evening after the 10 PM newscast.

Posted by at March 29, 2007 8:21 PM

Comments

Hello Mr. Lezak, hoping for some rain in Leavenworth.
New Data? Chance of severe storms still in there?
-------------------------
Ben,

Not really much of a chance tonight.

Posted by: Ben Tracy at March 29, 2007 8:29 PM

Are the t-storms in Johnson Co. expected to be severe?
Kim,

I very much doubt it.

Posted by: Kim at March 29, 2007 8:36 PM

It's raining and thundering here in Olathe (135th & Black Bob area)! Been like this maybe half an hour or so. I just checked radar, it's neat how that little finger of rain jutted out from the rest of the system to tap Olathe/So. OP.
Koyuki,

Wow! You are in this new little band, but for the rest of us the frustration continues. These thunderstorms are moving north northwest, and lined up right over you.

Posted by: Koyuki King at March 29, 2007 8:48 PM

***********************
Those just passed olathe .32" of rain and they were big boomers! And now I can't get 41.1 or 41.2 or many of the DTV Channels. On Analog Tv 41 is fuzzy.
Andrew,

Thanks, keep us updated on your total rainfall.

Posted by: Andrew at March 29, 2007 8:57 PM

Gary:

Good Evening Sir!!!! The service project went great-only had about 2 hours of rain very early Tuesday morning so we got lucky!!!!

Interesting band of rain out there this eveing-Topeka has heavy rain, Emporia had heavy rain, Overland Park had heavy rain and Ottawa had some decent rain-but here in SW Lawrence we have had one gust of wind some lightening and about 30 rain drops-when you zoom in on the radar, you can see the bands kind of falling apart as they approach the southern edge of Lawrence-the weather here is just fascinating!!! Hopefully as this wider band rotates a tad east ( I noticed the surface low in central Kansas I think??) the bands will hang a little better together.

Oh, no doubt next week looks much colder-about choked on my sandwich this afternoon as it looked like the 12Z GFS wanted to give us a few flakes next Thursday??? Not even thinking about it, but it did make me give pause for a moment!!! The LRC states emphatically that the pattern will return to a colder phase and the longer range models are picking up on it-the LRC is tight!!!!

I can do without the severe weather, but I sure would like about an inch or so of rain over then next 48 hours-will be interesting to follow!!!! Have a great night!!!!

Bill thunder finally sounding here in SW Lawrence
Bill,

It really looks like you could get your one inch of rain Friday night.

Posted by: Bill Gollier at March 29, 2007 9:31 PM

Gary & team,

Heavy rain in west shawnee! Drove back from the legends and traffic was moving very slow with low visibility due to the heavy rain. Keep it safe out there everyone.

Tim in Shawnee (formerly Greenwood)

Posted by: Tim in Shawnee at March 29, 2007 9:37 PM

Gary:

Sorry, just me again!!!! Just as I finished typing the last entry and pushed send, the rain finally started-comming down now at a pretty good clip!!! I'm quite thankfull I'm not in a tent in front of school at this moment!!!! LOL

Bill loving the patter on the roof in Lawrence

Posted by: Bill Gollier at March 29, 2007 9:38 PM

hey gary,
i emailed you the pictures from today's storm, it's on your email address, not the weather station's. just lettin you know.

Posted by: Randy at March 29, 2007 9:48 PM

Now it's still raining still can't get a DTV Signal so I'm watching the fuzzy Analog channel. I think the outdoor Attenna got struck by lightning.Now up to 0.65"

Posted by: Andrew at March 29, 2007 10:05 PM

So, when's it our turn away from the state line? Out here in Warrensburg its been humid and cloudy, but there hasn't been a drop of rain for most of the past week while areas west and north of us are getting soaked. Hate to complain about something over which I have no control, but its frustrating that it seems the pattern is starting to resemble last year, when it was so dry. Will this turn into a wide area event, or are we just being teased again?

Posted by: Mike from Warrensburg at March 29, 2007 10:06 PM

We are not expecting severe weather for tonight right? What are the chances for severe weather tomorrow? Thanks, Robin

Posted by: Robin at March 29, 2007 10:17 PM

It's raining hard here in Olathe (151st and Pflumm). I wish I could give you a total but my rain gauge broke.

Posted by: Barbara at March 29, 2007 10:23 PM

raining hard and some very impressive lightning going on here in Leavenworth right now. 10:24 P.M.

Posted by: jesse at March 29, 2007 10:24 PM

Mr. Lezak,
I apologize that I can't give you a rainfall report tonight because I am out of town. I will give you one on Fri. evening. Hopefully the rain/storms for Fri. night will hold off until after I give you my rainfall report. Do you think that this is possible? Thanks, Eswar.
Eswar,

You were near the bullseye! Let us know when you get home.

Posted by: Eswar at March 29, 2007 10:32 PM

WOW KC is getting pounded on radar!!!!!
There are not a lot of comments considering what is happening, then again maybe people are staying of the computers down there because of the lightning, I hope those things stay together as they approach St. Joe, already hearing thunder and seeing some lightning flashes.
Nick(stunned by the radar) in St. Joe!!!!!!

It looks like you are getting pounded now. I just posted all of the comments. Now, I better read them to make sure they are nice. Sometimes when the show is on we just can't get to them right away.

Posted by: Nick Rau at March 29, 2007 10:46 PM

I just received a very quick heavy rain band with lots of lightning and a little hail in Blue Springs.

Posted by: Brian at March 29, 2007 11:12 PM

I was just checking out the NOAA web site and saw some CRAZY stuff. Buffalo, WY has been getting pounded with a blizzard since yesterday with sustained winds over 55 mph. It also 3 wind gusts over 100 mph including 1 of 185 and another of 181 mph. This can't be right...could it?
-------------------------
Jeff,

The strongest wind gusts I could find were around 76 mph. The 185 and 181 mph winds could not possibly be correct. But 60 inches of snow has fallen in some mountain areas in Wyoming and I-80 is closed through that area.

Posted by: Jeff at March 30, 2007 12:03 AM