« A Historical Night! | Main | A windy day and LUNAR ECLIPSE! »

March 1, 2007

March comes in roaring

Good afternoon,

Dirty cars! Some of you may wonder why there is brown spots on your car today. The last thunderstorms to move through around 1 AM were dirty ones. The storm was so strong that blowind dust and dirt from Texas was pulled into the storm and came down with the rain on those last cells. This may be the first time ever for those on the south side where you get 3 to 5 inches of rain washing your car, but then you still need a carwash.

2.57" at my place in Overland Park. It appears there were a few amounts close to 5 inches which fits with the rainfall estimates, and then there are others of less than 1/4". Amazing! The areas that have had the snow this winter got the rain. Any surprise? No, we continue to cycle through the same pattern. Last night there were a few locations that had 8 hail events, one with each passing thunderstorm. When I got home around 1 AM there were 3 inch drifts of hail in spots. And, now I-29 is closed north of St. Joseph due to blizzard conditions. If this storm would have tracked just a bit further south we would have had a blizzard here.

Winter isn't over yet and the snow season officially ends by early April. So, for you snow lovers out there hope is still alive for a little bit longer. Remember, the biggest snowstorm in Kansas City history occurred in March of 1912 with over 25 inches. So, it can and has happened before.

Before we concern ourselves with more winter we have some true spring time warmth coming our way. 60s and 70s are likely the first half of next week. And, I plan on taking Monday and Tuesday off to get ready for the next storm.

Don't forget the Pet Telethon is on channel 38 the spot from 6:30 to 9:30 PM Sunday night! I want the bloggers to call in and donate. If you do please mention you are an NBC ACTION WEATHER BLOG BLOGGER and I will say hello during the telethon. More on this later.

Have a great day!

Posted by at March 1, 2007 12:15 PM

Comments

*********

I know everyone on your team has been very busy but if someone has the time, could you post the strength of each of the reported tornados in our area? Sounds like mostly F1 and F2. Thank you.

Kris Wells
Olathe, KS

********

Kris,

As soon as the NWS completes the storm reports and notifies us of the ratings...the bloggers will be the first to know! I would expect at least one of the reports to be completed today.

Jeremy

Posted by: Kris Wells at March 1, 2007 1:02 PM

I know we are still a little ways out, but in general, what is the weather looking like for March 10? Cold/warm, wet/dry? We have an outdoor birthday party planned for that day and didn't know if we should start preparing for other plans.
--------------------------------
Courtney,

It looks mild, but there are big changes occurring about this time. Ask again in a few days.

Posted by: Courtney at March 1, 2007 1:40 PM

**********
Hi,we have had winds over 40 miles an hour from the west northwest, with gusts even higher. Do you think that they will issue a wind advisory. Some of the debris is blowing all around.

Brent,

Wind Advisories are in effect for areas north and east of KC. Keep in mind just because no advisory is in effect doesn't mean that you can't have wind gusts reach criteria level. This is why we try to mention that severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes without a warning being in effect. The winds will stay quite strong for the rest of today!

Jeremy

Posted by: Brent at March 1, 2007 1:47 PM

Here in Clinton was a very colorfull night from the storm and every thing. I stayed up all night two watch it and I called into NWS two tell them wut was going on down here two the south. I hope we have a good but safe season coming too us.

Posted by: Marshall Ware at March 1, 2007 1:50 PM

I know this is early and we are recovering from this storm still, but you spoke of the next storm, approximately when will that be? Good job on the coverage last night too! I think it was the most solid of the 4 stations last night. Jeremy Nelson came into his own in my opinion.
Jon,

Yes, Jeremy really did a great job. It is too early to talk about the next storm. There may be something later next week, but we have no opinion yet.

Posted by: Jon at March 1, 2007 1:56 PM

**********************
Dear Action Weather Friends, Some of these strong winds blew in a flock of Robins to our farm in Northeastern Jackson County. I made sure that those stately birds I saw were actually those red breasted Robin types. And yes they were. So, March has not only come in with strong 'lion like' winds but also the hearlds of Spring not far off - yes the Robin! I'm sure others may have Robin sightings as well. WoW, Gary say goodbye to snow and hello to soon coming Spring.
Best Regards, Susan

Posted by: Susan at March 1, 2007 1:58 PM

Missed again here for the most, just a bit of snow this morning. :( As you said, most of the areas that got the most snow this winter, got the bulk of the rain. That is kind of depressing to me. Is that to say that since we haven't had much action here (northern end ofPerry Lake in Jeff. Co.), that this trend will probably continue in accordance with the LRC??? If it's a no, don't tell me that, I don't think I could handle watching everyone get all the great rain events too. :(

Posted by: Stacey at March 1, 2007 2:17 PM

Jeremy, Gary and the weather team. I checked my raingauge in Berryton and we only received 2 hundredths of an inch. Unbelievable how those thunderstorms formed and skirted east of Topeka. Also we got a little snow. Isn't this unusual that the the severe weather is so early up here. The southeast is getting pounded but the severe weather seems to be coming earlier. I remember in 1990, March 13th in central Kansas we were living in Sedgwick and saw the Hesston Tornado. Anyway I find this unusual. But it is living up to the LRC and everything seems to be going south of even KCI. Fascinating. Keep up the good work. Michael/Topeka/Berryton

Posted by: Mike Huffman at March 1, 2007 2:29 PM

We received 0.63 in the rain gauge in the back yard here on the east side of Lawrence. After the storm passed on through last night.

Posted by: Paul Sharp at March 1, 2007 2:39 PM

Weather Team, great job last night! When the time was here for a station to keep us all informed, you were the ones to count on. We didn't get much in KCK until 11 when it finally started to rain some, but I don't mind because I can do without the hail. Husker Mom & Dad are snowed in in Omaha with about a foot of snow. Just thought I'd pass that along. Great job again guys!!!! Mark

Posted by: Mark at March 1, 2007 2:44 PM

hello gary do you think that this is going to be a way above average year in severe weather and when canwe expect the next bigger storms to effect us thanks

Posted by: john marr at March 1, 2007 2:44 PM

I arrived home from the doctor at 5pm with a diagnosis of strep throat. The penicillin shot received in my nether region was going to take time to work so I loaded up on Ibuprofen to reduce the 101 fever then lay on the couch to listen to Gary's forecast. The developing supercell near Emporia, moving rapidly northeast added chills to my ongoing sickness related chills. I fell asleep for nearly an hour before being awakened by the weather radio. The storms were developing and warnings were being issued. I was pumped but also concerned because I knew strong storms generally turn right, which would take them south of my residence in the northeastern tip of KCMO's city limits.

I went outside and watched the storm clouds build and the associated lightning flash about. I was amused by such severe weather on the last day of February. Growing tired of the still distant nature of the storms, I retired to my comfy chair and turned on the television. The weather warning radio continued to go off alerting counties to my southwest of impending doom. I patiently listened to each warning then put the radio back on alert.

Two hours later, still seeing the constant flashes of lightning to the south, I turned on NBC and found Gary and his team talking about the tornados and ongoing severe weather on the south side of Kansas City. I noticed the train-like progression of the storms over the same area. The weather radio went off again and, in my angered state, I turned it off permanently. It was obvious, another strong low pressure system was passing by and, despite Kansas City proper stretching only 36 miles from north to south, those of us on the north side were going to be missed again! A short time later, a small "storm" came through dropping maybe .10 of an inch of rain, the slightest hint of bb-sized hail, and lackluster lightning.

Thinking about how I watch too much television, I turned on a pre-recorded episode of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe, hoping his humor would get me through my weather doldrums, after which I watched Gary for the final time at 10pm. I went to bed disappointed with yet another storm system.

During my 12 hours of sleep I heard some brief rain during the night but can't tell you how much. Who needs a rain guage when the only liquid falling here is the tears of a weather junkie not getting his fix. I woke to a flurry of snow but it's brevity was rivaled by only that of subatomic particle produced in a particle accelerator. My only refuge is knowing the entire severe weather season lies ahead.

That one's for The Dog.

Posted by: Dave Arnold at March 1, 2007 3:02 PM

Jeremy, Does Gary ever sleep? Another channel told us to go lie in a ditch. I appreciated the calm and straigtforward weather on TV withough making it caotic for everyone. It's early in the season and we have a long way to go.
GaryB.

Yes, I do get sleep, just not much. I usually catch up on the weekends. And, I am taking Monday and Tuesday off. It will be nice to sleep in.

Posted by: GaryB. at March 1, 2007 3:21 PM

Hello weather team. My husband and I went outside and fixed the siding that came off our house last night. I wish I could figure out why my son's swing ended up going west, instead of east. Also, I discovered my bird feeder went to the south. Wierd!! My leg is bruised and sore from trying to get into the car and having the wind slam it shut. It was wierd, I couldn't get it opened,it was like a vacuum effect. After I did get it opened, then I couldn't get it shut. Fianlly, the wind slammed it shut again. Anyway, I was hoping to find out if it was indeed a tornado that went south of Kingsville, which is where I am located.
Kimberly,

We will get the official report on Friday, I believe. There may have been one. It was very close.

Posted by: Kimberley at March 1, 2007 3:31 PM

Another storm already? What happened to our break?
Justin,

There isn't a storm truly showing up yet. Just some hint of one. So we should get a nice break.

Posted by: Justin at March 1, 2007 4:33 PM

hey guys,
I just thought I would comment that the visible looks INCREDIBLE of the storm over Iowa. it LOOKS like a hurricane. This one looks I think better than the last one on the visible imagery. it's so tightly wound up. by the way, noticing a storm at the end of the 7 day forecast, anything nasty headed our way or is it the usual wait and see? which is okay with me. have a good one guys.
---------------------------
Jonathan,

The visible was a wild site today. We will know more about that storm soon.

Posted by: Jonathan Katz at March 1, 2007 4:36 PM

I enjoyed the broadcast last night, but I must make mention of something you neglected to point out in the rainfall totals. In the three times I heard you and Jeremy speak of the amounts you never mentioned hail contamination. The majority of the storms last night had hail which would cause the rainfalls totals to be inflated. According to pleasant hills' RTP the 87th st area only received 2.55 not the 4"+ that you mentioned last night.
---------------------------
Karen,

Good point!

Posted by: Karen at March 1, 2007 4:39 PM

Hello, what concerns me is the other stations radar (SV) I wont use the excact term. They also have a lot of the same thech you guys do so it concers me that they too could discover new things to do with their radar system and you guys would have a GREAT competetor. I know you guys may not care at all but it still seems that you guys have the better advantage and are always looking for new things to do with ESP. Sorry if I bothered you.
Alden,

But, many meteorologists have a hard time explaining in simple terms, so we are not worried.

Posted by: Alden at March 1, 2007 6:09 PM

Hey gary
I had brown spots all over my weather station.I just got finished washing all of my insturnments.major woody says high.I got my barometer set to the right seting i did like you said i went and manually inputed the pressue that was being reported at KCI.Thank you gary.
Brent,

I am glad it worked! Now wash the car.

Posted by: Brent Hickman at March 1, 2007 6:49 PM

Gary, I read about the robin sighting in the previous blog. I am happy to announce I too saw those beautiful little creatures today in Olathe. It was really kind of strange because of the cold blustery day we were having, but a very welcome sight. March definetly came in like a lion but the robins reminded of the lamb. Ahh MARCH! Oh, by the way my guage had a shade under 2.0, near 119th Ridgeview. Peace out, Greg
---------------------------
Greg,

I think we are all ready for some nice spring weather.

Posted by: Greg at March 1, 2007 7:17 PM

************************
Hey Gary and the weather team I want to say thanks for staying on the air last night to keep us updated about the storms! You did an awesome job keep it up! :)
Is there any more big storms showing up and do you think it's going to be active this spring? Well, have a great night! Take care!

Rachel K. :)
Rachel,

Your welcome! It was quite stressful yesterday.

Posted by: Rachel K at March 1, 2007 7:36 PM

Gary and team keep up the great work!! Here in Raytown I picked up 2.01 in. Not much wind but we had pea-size hail on two different occasions. I like severe weather season but also have a love for winter. Hopefully we can have one more winter weather event HERE!!!!
Kirk,

I have an order in for one more winter storm.

Posted by: Kirk at March 1, 2007 9:25 PM

I will keep comments brief. I can only say seeing and being in the SPC today was the most surreal event of my life. CNN was here today. I have seen and personally met my heros. Last but not least, I would recommend any of the diehard weather geeks/bloggers to attend one of these. I have doubled my knowledge with the tips and tricks from the experts. They are so gracious.

Awestruck. Both with the SPC and the sheer power of this system.

Thanks for sharing. Let us know more when you get back.

Posted by: Scott at March 1, 2007 9:38 PM

Hi Gary!
You are the best! Is there a place that you list the rainfall totals? Our rain guage busted, and it drives me nuts not to know. BTW, We live in Lees Summit, just south of 70 and east of 291.

Thanks!

Posted by: Shannon at March 1, 2007 10:34 PM

I must say fantastic job on covering the severe weather. That was a crazy night for sure. Clinton got spared. The supercell thunderstorm passed less than 25 miles north of Clinton. We did have some strong wind but not damaging wind we were not close enough to the storm. I watched the storms until about 12:30 am or so and decided to go to bed. What a night. Clinton didnt even recive a trace of rain. I am still in the mood for at least one more snowstorm this winter season. Our winter season is not over yet. WOW What a CRAZY Night. Once again great job on the coverage!!! :)

Posted by: John Moon III at March 1, 2007 10:58 PM

Hey Gary,
I understand there will be a lunar eclipse on Saturday. My 8-yr.-old son, Nathan, is so excited! How much of it will we be able to see here in KC and what is your advice for viewing it. I understand we will see the moon in the east turn red at sunset ... what else should I know?
Thanks
Jan
Jan,

You can see it just as the sun is setting and the full moon is rising.

Posted by: Jan Hunt at March 2, 2007 9:46 AM

Hello Weather Team,
Any acculuation with the snow tonight into tomorrow here in the metro?
See any snow chance's in the future? I also want to say (you guys)the NBC ACTION WEATHER TEAM did a great job Wednesday night with the storm coverage....Keep up the great work!!!
Anne

Posted by: Anne at March 2, 2007 10:39 AM

When is the NWS Report coming out? They are being a bit slow this week.

Posted by: Andrew at March 2, 2007 11:14 AM