« Overnight Developments | Main | Rain already weakening" »

March 29, 2007

"Oklahoma thunderstorms heading our way"

Good afternoon everyone! Look below:

RAD_MOS_STATE_OK_N0R.gif Click to enlarge

This is a large complex of thunderstorms heading our way from Oklahoma. It should arrive overnight. Will it hold together and what can we expect? The severe weather threat will remain very slight. There could be very heavy rain, lightning, and some small hail as it moves through later tonight. Then we get a break before the next chance on Friday night. After this storm goes by there is a VERY cold air mass building in Canada for April. We will have a chance of a freeze next week. I will blog this evening with an update. Right now we have a lot of work to do to get our show on the air.

Don't worry about severe weather right now. There is a strong line of thunderstorms just southwest of Trenton at this time. Amazingly it somehow developed north and east of most of Kansas City. We had a few downpours, but nothing like the line up north right now.

Posted by jnelson at March 29, 2007 2:46 PM

Comments

what time do you expect this line to move threw our area? bring on the thunder.

Posted by: nikie at March 29, 2007 3:02 PM

hey gary!
we were on the southern tip of that storm line. it took me by surprise. it was a perfect example of a squall line. i got some pictures of the shelf cloud developing that i will send in to you on the blogs tonight(or elsewhere if you want, just let me know, they're some great pictures!). than the winds picked up really really good and a downpour for about 15-20 minutes! my rain gauge read 1 and 2/10 inch in just that short amount of time! well, i'll talk to you later, let me know if you want those pictures sent somewhere else besides on here.

Posted by: Randy at March 29, 2007 3:24 PM

Gary, do you still think it's still possible for that outbreak in Southern Kansas tomorrow night? SPC hasn't said much about anything of that nature. In fact, they painted a hatched area, but it's all the way down in Texas, and we're only at a 15% probability. Just wondering if you were still holding onto that possibility.
Justin,

The surface low may crank up too late for "outbreak" potential. I still think there will be severe thunderstorms over southern Kansas Friday evening, but our chance is rather slim.

Posted by: Justin at March 29, 2007 3:26 PM

Thanks again for updating the blog and for your informative comments. But...I've learned not to get my hopes up...so for this latest round of events, I'm taking the position "I'll believe it when I see it". I sure hope you're right. I would like to see a good downpour tonight. But it seems the majority of the time things break apart when they get to our area.

Kris
Olathe, KS
Kris,

We should have had over 2 inches of rain during the past two weeks. The chances may dry up soon, so hopefully this one won't miss us tonight.

Posted by: Kris Wells at March 29, 2007 3:36 PM

Jeremy,
We are having a Garage Sale tomorrow starting around 7 am. Also Saturday around that time. Do you think that we will have rain or will it be good? Thanks.
Roberto
Roberto,

We think the rain should be ending by around 6 or 7 AM. So, your garage sale should end up dry.

Posted by: Roberto at March 29, 2007 3:36 PM

I hate to see it warm up in March only to see a cold snap in April. How long do you think this cold spell will last?
---------------------------
Ron,

I think it will turn colder with the potential for a freeze or frost, but how long? Probably a few days, then it will warm up, but I anticipate another strong cold air mass to make it down here in mid April.

Posted by: Ron at March 29, 2007 3:55 PM

**********
Man that storm on the way looks like a monster. I know you all will keep us informed.

DonnieJ
DonnieJ,

It is really just a large area of rain with embedded thunderstorms. So, we can likely relax. We will be monitoring it closely.

Posted by: Donna Morgan at March 29, 2007 3:57 PM

We had a pretty heavy rain shower here earlier, so we got some rain. YIPEE!! Matter of fact it rained so hard that there were puddles out there.
Take Care and Thanks,
Robin

Posted by: Robin at March 29, 2007 4:21 PM

Hello, I take it that it's a typo that it says:

-------------------------
No, This is how it looked around 3:30 PM. I will write an update.

Posted by jnelson at March 29, 2007 02:46 PM

?? It's signed by gary but says that Jeremy posted it!! Just thought you noticed that. LOL

Posted by: Alden at March 29, 2007 5:55 PM