« Friday Storm System | Main | A WET PLAINS STORM »

March 9, 2007

Rain ends and the sun is coming out

Good Friday afternoon everyone,

I will be at the IMAX theatre at the KC Zoo Saturday at 12:30 PM. "Hurricane on the Bayou" is premiering at 1:15 PM and it will play until Labor Day. I will be signing autographs and then introducing the movie at 1:15. Take the kids. I am not sure if it will sell out or not?

This afternoon will be warmer than I thought. Even though the winds are shifting to the north the sun is coming out and I think it will surge into the 60s. The weekend looks nice, but there could be some rain with that storm as it passes by to the west and south of us Saturday night. More on this later.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by at March 9, 2007 10:23 AM

Comments

Well it is that time of year again...Research paper. I was wondering if you could give me some ideas. Or research paper has to be on a controavisal topic. I was wondering if you could give me some Ideas for my paper? I would like to do a controavisal topic about the weather. Severe weather in general, at least that is what I would like to focus on if at all possible. I really like this rain that we are getting right now. I still would like at least 1 more snowstorm but the time for that to happen is fading fast. Im going to work on my decals for my truck for storm spotting. I'll be sure to send you some pictures of my "Spotting Vechile" over .40" of rain so far I'll be sure to send you my total.
----------------------------
John,

I just found your blog. It was almost lost down there. Maybe you should do a paper on peoples perception of weather coverage. This is highly controversial. You could interview some people and get meteorologists perspective and make your own conclusions. What do you think of this? I would be interested in the results.

Posted by: John Moon III at March 9, 2007 11:09 AM

G-man, help me out. I'm thinking about putting down some pre-emergent fertilizer tomorrow morning. Can you put a % on the rain chance for late Saturday/early Sunday?
Thanks.
Craig,

Posted by: Craig at March 9, 2007 11:16 AM

Hey Gary that sounds awesome! I will try to be there! Hope your having a great day! :)

Rachel K.

Posted by: Rachel K at March 9, 2007 11:17 AM

*********
Hi,I want to tell you guys great job on the forecast yesterday. As you said other stationbs brushed the rain off and you guys were right.Do you think that it will clear out later this evening? Others think that if it does we may jump into the 60's. But I think we will not get much above 59

**********

Brent,

Temps will tops out in the 60s today with sunshine increasing from west to east. Rain totals ranged from around 0.10" to about 0.50". The higher totals occurred to the east and southeast of KC.

Jeremy

Posted by: Brent at March 9, 2007 11:17 AM

In all fairness to the chest thumping going on here couple days ago, The other station had today nailed dead to rights.
---------------------------
Brian,

We did not do very well with the afternoon forecast. So, yes we blew it today. I am not happy about it. Forecasting will humble you but we will be back on our game today!

Posted by: Brian Carlson at March 9, 2007 11:32 AM

*********
Hey Guys,
Grandma was correct............rain before seven gone by eleven!!!!!! The grass is greening, the robins have come back and it is FRIDAY in the big town!!!!!!!!!!!
Debbie

********

Debbie,

Your grandma's saying held true today. Now that the rain is done it's time to enjoy a nice afternoon. It will feel and begin to look like spring by next week.

Jeremy

Posted by: Debbie at March 9, 2007 11:53 AM

**********
Gary and weather team,
I am still trying to get used to the new look of the website. I was just wondering if there was anyway to get the dates back in the black bar that seperate your entries on the blog. Without dates it is hard to decifer what came out and when, unless you click on the comments. Sorry to bother you it is more of a convience items. Sorry it is going to get warmer than you thought today but I am going to enjoy it and go vacumm the car out, not wash it though since it will rain again soon.
Thanks
Shannon

*********

Shannon,

Thanks for the website feedback. There will continue to be some small changes over time, and your comments will be passed along.

We aren't complaining about highs in the 60s, we love nice weather too...especially on a Friday!

Jeremy

Posted by: Shannon B. at March 9, 2007 12:12 PM

Every time I check the updated forecast I cross my fingers and hope the temperatures in the 70s are still there for next week!
Marlina,

They are still in there! It looks awesome Monday, Tuesday, and hopefully Wednesday as well.

Posted by: Marlina at March 9, 2007 12:37 PM

The dates are int he boxes. However they are coded wrong and the text and the box are both black. Highlight the box and the date shows up.

Posted by: Teach at March 9, 2007 12:46 PM

My Weather Station says it 70, just minus a few degrees because it's pointing into the sun most of the day. So 67-69F.
Andrew,

It is amazingly nice out there!

Posted by: Andrew at March 9, 2007 1:42 PM

So much as I am trying to be patient with the web changes, some of the design and coding errors are a bit irritating. Much of the blog domain has been ignored or neglected. Gary, I know you all are doing all you can to get with the web folks, but this is taking too long. Maybe I do not understand their priorities, but as a former web programmer, these things are not hard to fix. Perhaps the following site may be helpful…

;--) Thanks…my rant is over now. I will focus on weather from now on.

Just like any business, there are those that are awesome and get things done right, make the best forecast, etc. That's all I am going to say. There are a lot of things they are working on, and not just at our station. This is where the delay is likely coming from. If this isn't fixed by the end of next week then I will be pushing it more.

Posted by: Scott at March 9, 2007 2:36 PM

Another thought…as things are slow right now, could we get Jeremy to put together one of his great blog entries for reading soundings? I remember in the past, he referred to the “gun? signature on the skew-T and I think the bloggers might be interested in this and what it means, especially as we near the stormy season where this is a key indicator for severe weather.

Just an idea.

We are a bit distracted right now by our weather special that we will have on the air Wendesday the 21st. Brett Anthony's mother passed away unexpectedly and this has left us short handed. Brett is doing fine, things considered, and he will be back at work Monday. And, the past two weeks of weather and the pet telethon can wear you out. The bottom line is we have been quite worn out as of late.

Jeff is working Saturday and Jeremy Sunday. Ask Jeremy on Sunday and if we don't go into a discussion of the soundings then we can do it later next week when I come back. Keep pushing us and we can come up with some good conversation and education on soundings. I need to brush up on it myself anyway.

Posted by: Scott at March 9, 2007 2:56 PM

Could you please pass along our sympathy to Brett and his family? I can only imagine how hard this may be for him....Lots of prayers and good thoughts for Brett...
Donna,

Brett has been off all week. It was a very difficult experience for him and our thoughts are with him and his family. He is due back on Monday.

Posted by: Donna at March 9, 2007 3:58 PM

**********
We're flying to Dallas on Wednesday evening and spending time through central Texas through Monday. How does the weather look for our flight down there on Wednesday? Does it look like there is any weather that could cause delays?
Also, Sara, our yellow lab, just took the intermediate obedience training course. One of the parts of the course was to come up with a trick. I taught her "tornado", which I saw you do with one of your dogs. Thanks. She got valedictorian for her class and a bag of goodies as a result.

Thanks!
Matt,

Congratulations to Sara!

You shouldn't have any problems with your flight and the weather looks fairly dry those days in Texas. Let's see how it looks early in the week.

Posted by: Matt P at March 9, 2007 7:06 PM

Hello, I have a question and a request-idea. Question: Is the new website still being built. There are sevral things on here I would like to see again. Like the personalites and the SKYTRACKER link. Request-idea. On the SKYVIEW, is it possible to get more than 1 Skyview, camera to look at? I've alwaysed wanted to know what all of the other Skyviews were showing.
Alden,

The skyview part will be coming eventually. And, we are still working on the website. It has a long way to go.

Posted by: Alden at March 9, 2007 7:57 PM

Gary,, with the height of the upcoming severe weather season approaching, could you make a comment, on where people, like myself can buy the weather radio, you all talk about. BTW, you are doing an excellent job, at forcasting the weather, I made the comment to Brett, last summer, at Gale's Harley,how I watch you over the other forcasters in KC.Keep up the good work. Sam
---------------------------
Sam,

Thank you! Radio Shack has always been a great place to get a variety of weather radios. Go check them out there. And, I am sure if you do a search online then you will find them their as well.

Only 5% of people have weather radios. I highly recommend everyone having one.

Posted by: Sam at March 9, 2007 8:39 PM

Dear gary

Do you know when you are comeing to washington high school to meet me?have you talked to major woody lately?
Brent,

I may be all booked up for this spring. Tell Roz hi. I haven't talked to her lately.

Posted by: Brent Hickman at March 9, 2007 10:12 PM

Gary, and all the KSHB team:

That is ridiculous that only 5% of the population has weather radios. They should be in every household and place of business and public building! I dont know what we can do to fix this problem, but I just had to comment about that.

Posted by: Jon at March 10, 2007 12:05 AM

*********
So far I can't get any of the maps to show up on the website. Is it operator error or is this a problem with the site? I am also wondering if the pet pics will be coming back. Maybe they just moved somewhere I can't find them now.

Thanks.

**********

Denese,

We are still trying to iron some things out on the weather site. If the problem persists after this week I would send an email to the webmaster or the main station email address.

Jeremy