« "Friday afternoon thoughts" | Main | "Saturday morning recap" »

March 30, 2007

Severe thunderstorms have developed

Good evening,

A tornado warning has been issued for Vernon county. This is a very strong thunderstorm moving north into southern Henry county. We will be monitoring this cell closely. Otherwise a large area of rain and thunderstorms continues to move this way

Posted by at March 30, 2007 7:41 PM

Comments

Sorry to ask the same question that you have been asked a million times already, but I am getting ready to put kids to bed and I am wondering if we should sleep in our basement tonight? Thanks from a nervous mom.
----------------------------------
Robin,

You don't need to sleep in your basement. Most of these thunderstorms will only produce rain and lightning. Some may produce hail, but the tornado threat is very low.

Posted by: Robin Burger at March 30, 2007 7:53 PM

Are the t-storms moving toward the metro severe?

Thanks!

Posted by: Stacey at March 30, 2007 7:59 PM

We won't get in the Tornado Watch in Olathe?

Posted by: Andrew at March 30, 2007 8:01 PM

Hey Gary storm just went to the east of us. Before it all happened it looked like a wall cloud just to the south of Appleton City.

Posted by: daniel at March 30, 2007 8:06 PM

That tornado watch they just issued has low tornado probabilities. Did they just issue it as a precautionary measure?
Justin,

This is a very strong storm as we have been discussing all week. There are a couple of strong thunderstorms that we will watch closely, but the threat should move by or weaken during the next two hours.

Posted by: Justin at March 30, 2007 8:09 PM

The storm down by La Cygne looks like its got a couplet on SRV.
---------------
I saw that!! It has weakened.

Posted by: Scott at March 30, 2007 8:13 PM

G-Man: Tornado Watch!
I asked you earlier about increasing shear overnight and you just kind of brushed it aside...Now I know that no tornadoes have developed in our area yet, but...underestimating the severe potential is kind of not Lezak-like...
Craig,

I thought the potential was there all along. I don't remember brushing you off. I think we just had a lot going on today is what happened.

Anyway, the threat is still rather small. We do appreciate your participation and input. Make sure you keep us on our toes.

Posted by: Craig at March 30, 2007 8:38 PM

What does this mean for tomorrow?
Hank,

There is a chance during the morning, but the severe threat quickly moves away. We will have to see how it looks in the morning.

Posted by: hank at March 30, 2007 8:49 PM

********
do you think over by the worlds of fun area will see svr storms?
Nikie,

I doubt it.

Posted by: nikie at March 30, 2007 8:56 PM

I don't get the SPC. Why is the metro not included in the watch? Are you telling me that the storms will weaken as they move over KC? Wjat dp we have a shield over us or what? I think the SPC needs to look at their data again. I hate to say this, but everybody has been saying "no severe weather expected," and now it looks like we might get it. Figures. You cannot win. Keep up the great work!
------------------------------
Brian,

No, you are wrong. We aren't going to get it, but there could be a severe thunderstorm or two in the next couple of hours. And, then when the band moves across around sunrise there is a slight chance as well.

For days we have talked about potential and here it is.

Posted by: Brian at March 30, 2007 9:18 PM

I am not concerned with the severe weather risk for the area, however, I was wondering how much rain metro area should expect to see, and when it will end. Tomorrow morning, I am planning on trout fishing, and I was wondering if I should plan on dressing rain or not...

Thanks!
Fred,

It looks like one more band of rain is going to move through early in the morning, but it should move through fairly quickly.

Posted by: Fred at March 30, 2007 9:35 PM

Mr. Lezak,
As of 9:45 PM I have 2 inches of rain at 151st and Mur-Len in Olathe from last night and tonight so far. Do you expect any more rain tonight? Thanks, Eswar.
Eswar,

One or two more rounds heading your way.

Posted by: Eswar at March 30, 2007 9:57 PM

I'm watching StormLab Pro and I see a couplet by Paola, In fact stormlab just warned me at 10:06pm there is a MESO now.
Andrew,

There was a very weak circulation, but that was all with that cell.

Posted by: Andrew at March 30, 2007 10:07 PM

the desk top radar is great, how about having your IT people create a windows gadget for windows Vista. Its always on and small. If you havent seen Vista you should. Thanks for all the info you and your team provide.
Brian,

Thanks! I like it too! It will get better next week with some other tools.

Posted by: Brian at March 30, 2007 10:16 PM

Hello Weather team, reporting from leavenworth, torrential rains with wind gusts of atleast 40mph.

Posted by: Ben Tracy at March 30, 2007 11:03 PM

That storm that was heading for Henry county around 8:00 or so really weakned as it crossed the county line. Wow this just goes to show you how unpredictable thunderstorms can be.Watching an area of developing thunderstorms to the south and will probably watch it through out the night if anything does actually come up. What is it looking like for tomorrow?
John,

We will have to see how it sets up in the morning, but it may just blow through. Keep us updated if anything develops.

Posted by: John Moon III at March 30, 2007 11:04 PM

Has the tornado watch expired for LINN county? You are showing it non-red on tv now? I hope so.
-------------
Eric,

Yes, it is over for Linn county.

Posted by: eric at March 30, 2007 11:36 PM

Gary & Team,
I just want to commend you on your patience with all the nervous folks around tonight. Plus, the fact that you all take the time to answer, even when it's busy, is amazing.
Thank you! (hope you get some sleep tonight.)
Aunti Icey,

Thanks! And we have to deal with criticism from the left, center, and right. We have been talking about this potential for Friday night to have a severe weather threat for days. Today, we said the chance was very slim. In the end, once again, there was very minimal severe weather. Worthy of our concern through the last two days, but also worthy of our saying the threat was very small tonight. At least I think so.

Posted by: Aunti Icey at March 31, 2007 12:14 AM

**********************
Hello Weather team, any more development expected after this band moves through? Is the rain down in Amarillo going to make it here tomorrow morning?
Ben,

There could be two or three more rounds and bands.

Posted by: Ben Tracy at March 31, 2007 12:20 AM

********
hey gary,
any chance at chillicothe gettin any significant storms tonight or in the morning? i know your really busy right now but thanks for keepin us informed.

********

Randy,

A few more showers and storms. The last round should move thru your area this afternoon. We'll keep an eye on any severe weather threat. Today the main threat looks to be east of KC.

Jeremy