« Evening Showers & A Warm-Up | Main | Tornado Safety »

March 12, 2007

Severe Weather Awareness Week

This week is Severe Weather Awareness Week for Missouri. Each afternoon this week I will post the topic for the day. The statewide mock tornado drill is scheduled for Tuesday, March 13 at 1:30pm. So if you hear the sirens tomorrow, it is only a test. But this is still a good time to at least think about what you and your family would do in case severe weather was heading in your direction. So far this year there have been 4 tornadoes in the viewing area, including 1 EF-4 tornado!

Jeremy

MARCH 12 THROUGH 16 2007 IS SEVERE WEATHER AWARENESS WEEK FOR
MISSOURI. NOW IS THE TIME TO PREPARE FOR SEVERE WEATHER SHOULD IT
OCCUR DURING THE UPCOMING MONTHS.

EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A SEVERE WEATHER PLAN INCLUDING SCHOOLS...
BUSINESSES AND FAMILIES. WHILE THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STRIVES
TO ISSUE SEVERE WEATHER WARNINGS WITH ENOUGH LEAD TIME FOR PEOPLE TO
ACT...THERE ARE STILL SOME STORMS THAT FORM VERY QUICKLY AND STRIKE
WITHOUT A WARNING BEING ISSUED. HAVING A SEVERE WEATHER PLAN IN
PLACE CAN BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LIFE AND DEATH. YOU MAY HAVE
ONLY SECONDS TO ACT.

SOME OF THE THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN DEVELOPING A PLAN INCLUDE...

HOW CAN I RECEIVE TIMELY SEVERE WEATHER WARNINGS?

HOW DO I DISTRIBUTE SEVERE WEATHER WARNINGS TO OTHER PEOPLE AT
MY LOCATION OR FOR WHOM I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR?

WHERE ARE THE SAFEST PLACES TO GO AT MY LOCATION? ARE THEY CLEARLY
MARKED?

DO I HAVE PLANS IN PLACE IF MY BUILDING OR HOME IS DAMAGED?

PREPAREDNESS PLANS CAN COVER MANY ITEMS...NOT JUST SEVERE WEATHER.
THE AMERICAN RED CROSS AND THE FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY
HAVE INFORMATION AVAILABLE CONCERNING PREPAREDNESS PLANS.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS OR SEVERE WEATHER WEEK
GO TO WEATHER.GOV/STLOUIS.

Posted by jnelson at March 12, 2007 3:09 PM

Comments

********
It is severe weather awareness week for Kansas too! Don't forget us :)

"The National Weather Service in Pleasant Hill, in conjunction with the Kansas Division of Emergency Management, the Missouri State Emergency Management Agency, and local emergency management agencies, will conduct the annual statewide Severe Weather Awareness Week for both Kansas and Missouri March 12th through March 16th, 2007.

Monday - Preparedness Day

Tuesday - Tornadoes Day

Wednesday - Flash Flood Day

Thursday - Thunderstorm Day

Friday - NOAA Weather Radio Day"

David

********

David,

Sorry if I forgot...you can participate in the tornado drill too:)

Jeremy

Posted by: David, Lenexa at March 12, 2007 5:21 PM

Jeremy,
Great reminders. The Weather Channel does a show called "Storm Stories" each weeknight. On Wednesday of this week, it has a half-hour on the March 12 tornadoes that hit central Missouri. It might be of interest to those of us in the area. I'll be on my way to KCI but plan to tape it.
Last March 12 was really my first look at severe weather since moving here in October, 2004. When I looked out the window and noticed the leaves blowing straight up, I knew we were in for trouble. We had marble-sized hail in the morning, golf-ball-sized in the afternoon, and pea-sized hail at night.

Matt,

Thanks for the note. I'm sure some people would like seeing that on the March 12 tornado outbreak.

Don't forget...we are airing out severe weather special on March 21 on NBC. Let your friends and family know!

Jeremy

Posted by: Matt P at March 12, 2007 6:22 PM

*********
Right now a local grocery store has teamed up with the National Weather Service to sell weather radios at a reasonable price, $29.95. I got one this weekend and feel much better knowing I'll be alerted if a threatening storm hits in the middle of the night!

*********

Marlina,

Thanks for passing this along. Weather radios are essential when severe weather strikes at night. The best combination is watching NBC Action News during severe weather coverage and our exclusive LIVE ESP and keeping your weather radio on.

Jeremy

Posted by: Marlina at March 12, 2007 6:45 PM

**********
I opened the window in my room today, yes as far as I'm concerned it's spring!
As for the "Tornado Drill" tomorrow, if I hear the sirens I will "practice" doing what I do every time I hear the sirens, Step outside!
Yes, I know, I know, this is BAD and I'll probably get scolded, but I can't deny who I am. Every time there is severe Weather I have to get a glimpse of it. Now don't get me wrong if the situation occurred where it got really bad, I would go to the basement but I'm not going to lie, I would try to get a look at it if I could. And I know about "rain wrapped tornadoes" and if that is the situation than I won't try.
Thanks for your time.
Nick in(greening) St. Joe!!!

I'm sure you are not alone when it comes to stepping outside...but obviously I don't recommend it. I do recommend attending one of the severe weather seminars the NWS puts on. That way you will have a better idea of what different types of severe weather clouds look like and you can better identify what is headed in your direction.

I also think spring is basically here. Even after we drop later this week, another warm-up arrives next week. Keep in mind we are in the warm part of the LRC. Basically repeating December and early January(above normal temps).

Jeremy

Posted by: Nick Rau at March 12, 2007 7:30 PM

*******
Jeremy, just a quick question, if we are in the warm part of the LRC, when does the cold part arrive? In other words as we approach spring its suppossed to warm up, so are you guys saying we're going to have some kind of drastic cold spell in April? I know anything is possible, our average last freeze date is around the miidle of April. I know this sounds so simplistic, but I've lived here all of my life and in 40 years I've learned that March is crazy, April, is better, May is Nice, then it gets HOT! Then we do it all over again. Peace out, Greg.

********

Greg,

Since I'm not the expert on the LRC, I would pose this question to Gary when he returns. I'm still learning a lot about the LRC since this is my first experience using it to help in long range forecasting. I know Gary mentioned that March would be a lot like December...above average for temperatures. I'm guessing that April will bring a cooler period with more chances of storms.

Jeremy

Posted by: Greg at March 12, 2007 8:54 PM

hey jeremy,
do you know if any of those severe weather seminars are gonna make it up as far as chillicothe? if so i would like to attend one. also, what time on march 21 is that severe weather special gonna be airing?
randy

**********

Randy,

Check out this website. It has a list of remaining spotter talks. This is open to the public.

Jeremy

Posted by: Randy at March 13, 2007 2:35 AM

*********
Just some food for thought. I know the LRC can key to a few different aspects of what is happening, but as Gary has said before, be cautious in extrapolating weather trends from it as things can change somewhat from each time through the cycle. I am the first to think that there is more micro forecasting that can be done from the LRC, but I think temps are the hardest part to predict from the LRC. Since we have seasonal variability and the constantly retreating jet stream now, its going to be difficult to nail down temps using the LRC this time of year. So much as we are in the “warm? part of the cycle, my interpretation is more that we are in the “dry? part of the cycle. As this new application is very new for the LRC, let’s be cautious not to assume or oversimplify the LRC and associated trends.

I'm not the LRC expert, but when I talked to Gary last he mentioned the temps through March should be above average overall...much like December was. I think the LRC can help with temps and precip., just my take.

Jeremy

Posted by: Scott at March 13, 2007 8:56 AM

********
Off the topic question: What's the name of the severe weather software package you use to cut through and dissect severe storms? I watched the Gary use it during the last tornado outbreak. It's a 3-D look at the storm to help you pinpoint a possible tornado. It's not Galileo or StormMaster is it? I really liked it, but can't remember the name.

Thanks!
Brad

*********

Brad,

On LIVE ESP the tool you are thinking of is X-Vision. A great tool to look inside a storm.

Jeremy

Posted by: Brad at March 13, 2007 10:59 AM

*********
Being it is severe weather awareness week I decided to email the National Weather Center in Pleasant Hill to ask if it is true that Linn County KS does NOT have a tower to support weather radio's. They responded and said that it is true and that they did not know if it was in the works for us to get one or not. They forwarded my concern to someone in Kansas City. I think it is alittle concerning that we do not have one. We are soooo rural down here it is VERY necessary for us to have one. Plus the electricity goes out ALOT down here...even when their is no weather to cause it. If you all have any info to pass on to me to help the residents of Linn get one let me know. Great weather...LOVE it!!!!
Monica

********

Monica,

Thank you for passing that information along. Hopefully after this last tornado the NWS will fast track a tower for your area.

Jeremy

Posted by: Monica at March 13, 2007 11:01 AM

*********
Hi all,
Hearing the sirens being tested today made me wonder, does anyone know how long KC has been using them, or when they were first installed? When was the first time they were actually used for a tornado? Ruskin?
Aside from an air raid... are they exclusively to 'tornado on the ground' take cover? I assume that is so, I just wondered if there is any other scenerio that would cause them to go off.
Curious trival musings.
Thanks

*******

Aunti,

I would try to call the NWS to find the answer. I don't think I can dig up that answer anywhere quick. I think a lot of sirens were installed in larger towns after WW2 for civil defense and tornadoes.

Jeremy